The most common psycholgical challenge people encounter when trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by MartinT, Jan 16, 2007.

1. MartinT

MartinT

Dan

NLP is what works, there is a lot of snobby ness from some practitioners who belive NLP is should be applied in it's purest form but the world has moved on from California in the 70's. There are also a lot of people who claim to have studied NLP and now say it doesn't work, well it may not work for them but their making one hell of a generalization in claiming it doesn't work for anyone. Tony Robbins really helped to bring NLP into the mainstream and introduce people to the benefits of "controlling your emotions" and not letting other people or events do it, for me thats been a fundamental skill in trading successfully. How has listening to Robbins helped your trading?:)

#51     Feb 7, 2007
  2. MartinT

MartinT

Stonedinvetor

LOL

OH you're good, i never thought about them cleaning as well. You can also rub NLP on your chest twice daily.

#52     Feb 7, 2007
  3. Tums

Tums

you have to have vision of a positive outcome before you even get out of bed.
    Self-sabotage is an internal negative message you gave to yourself.
    You must believe you can think positive, nobody can do it for you.

this video helped me tremendously.
    http://www.thesecretstory.com/

#53     Feb 7, 2007
  4. MartinT

MartinT

Tums

Thank you i'll take a look.

#54     Feb 7, 2007
  5. Listening to Robbins hasn't improved my trading specifically. It does cause me to focus on the positive rather than negative.

Whenever I listen to a subconscious reprogramming tape I always feel better after words. How much I can't quantify?

Whether it works or not depends on, I believe, whether people are receptive to suggestions. Hypnosis work well for me because I can easily influenced, which can be bad or good. :)

Dan

#55     Feb 7, 2007
  6. Amen to that. Actually I wonder of they need to be 'expert' a keen apreciation of the issues that face traders may suffice.

I have searched long and hard for someone who is able to help. NLP seems kind of wierd, it seems skewed towards you becoming a practitioner yourself. I don't want to become a practitioner myself - I'd just like to find someone who can help me sort out what must be some pretty deep seated issues. I did find someone who was somewhat helpful though he did not really have any empathy for the issue I am facing. He did suggest some visualisations I'm not sure they really helped.

Its rather frustrating - 'Intellectually' I absolutely know what I need to do i.e. I am conciously aware of the job in hand. Despite this the sub concious keeps nipping in and doing things that are just not in the plan. It mainly manifests itself in closing perfectly good trades prematurely.

I would welcome any suggestions from NLPers or those who are not.

#56     Feb 14, 2007
  7. Wait a minute is NLP- Toney Robbins, the guy with the big fake teeth? I thought it was National Public Radio!

Look the last thing the world needs is another huckster peddling self help books, enriching himself at the expense of week minded folks. Deep seated problems? See a shrink. Don't send $'s to some fool who's claim to fame is that he knows Hillary Clinton.

Geez prey at the feet of some self made person who's not trying to sell you something. Did you ever wonder why- if these idols were real, if they were really confident and really had the answers- why are they not enlightened to the point of not requesting your funds?

Over 20 years I have amassed a small fortune (by my standards) through stock investing. I am so confident and also know my limitations so well that I no longer charge $10 an issue for advice-- I give it for free to ET!

As rich as Mr. robbins is-- if he really cared about you all- he would be offering his advice for free as well.

#57     Feb 14, 2007
  8. AnnaFX

AnnaFX

nicely put stonedinvestor. The movement of the markets, especially for day traders has little to do with past changes. It would be foolish to read someone's ideas and philosophies when these are not strategies that will necessarily work for you

#58     Feb 14, 2007
  9. jnoss

jnoss

Why is NLP so popular with traders? Why not just read books like Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas. Does it have to be as complicated as NLP? Seems to complicated to me.

#59     Feb 21, 2007
  10. NLP works for me, but not just in trading. I used some NLP principles to make it 2 Presiden't Club 2 years out of 5 in outside sales. BTW I am in the process of re-reading Douglas' book. I get so much more out of now than when I first started trading. I am going to be reading The Book of 5 Rings by Cleary and Mausuri, I believe.

#60     Feb 22, 2007