The most common psycholgical challenge people encounter when trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by MartinT, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Joab

Joab

Jack,

With due RESPECT (and i honestly mean that)

I've hung around with the best of the best in NLP for over a decade and I've been right on the cutting edge with Richard and many others up close and personal.

I can tell you by personal experience that NLP is nothing more then natural subjective processes, repackaged to make Richard and the gang a nice income.

Sorry if I come off harsh on this but I feel strongly about it because I've seen what happens at the end of the NLP road.

:cool:

#41     Feb 6, 2007
  2. In answer to your two part question:

Skip the "emotional control".

Skip believing you have to be in a peak state.

The "self sabotage" you were experiencing is common to all beginners such as yourself. You know from your training what the basis of this self sabotage is. If not, inquiry and I will inform you.

For most, RISK has sources. For you, it is the unknown of two things as you state. 1. market knowledge and 2. a personal lack of self awareness.

To become a licensed broker takes six weeks of classes; to become sufficiently self aware takes some formal assistance and not classes of any sort. Brokerage classes involve learning about the rules and regulations of the business of the market. You do not learn to trade by getting a broker's license. How do you learn to trade??

If you have no profits before you have profits, then you can conclude there is an infinite difference by simply making a ratio where the denominator is zero and see a "soaring" difference on a before and after basis.

Now you have a mantra for some purpose. I do not have a mantra for some reason or other.

You are now focussed on being stong and ruthless. This is very humourous from an NLP viewpoint.

It almost sounds like you are trading in the dark on the plains of Africa where the lions and tigers roam about looking for lunch.

What is the cure for this state you have created for yourself. Who knows.

Plain and simple, you have not as yet experienced making money in the markets. Were I you I would cruise around a bit and find some guys to hang out with who nail the market day after day.

It is not a "strong" and "ruthless" atmosphere. If anything it is a relaxed and humourous atmosphere with a flavor of debriefing thrown in just out of a love of the markets.

When do you think you will see the first vestages of the love of trading (not the love of gambling). Will it be because you have several places where you contribute capital and you're on a couple of 501 (c) (3) finance committees?

Why is an expert crew of traders in a room trading giving the feeling of being relaxed and feeling humourous?

Try these on for size.

Great traders are always running ahead of the market like enjoying sailing when there's a "breese". Breese means the boat is in a wind that allows the boat to show its stuff. the hull and sails are strong and the skipper is an excellent boat handler because he knows what he is doing. He loves sailing his boat under steam. Skippers are relaxed and they feel their ship under them and it speaks to them through their senses.

There is humor in the markets every minute of the day.

As always there are several concurrent games being played by an asortment of guys who are "telegraphing" their trades. In ET you can read some of them in the chat room I am told....lol....

watching the DOM and seeing the single tick chart and the stretch and squeese of the cash and YM is one of the most continuous and humorous experiences of the day....all day long.

Whos at a peaking state during this? You are. Others are laughing at the people who think they are faking others out.

When you are front running smart money and being pushed by the heard all day long, it just gets plain humous for it to be happening all over again. You also have the full knowledge that every time you make a move too whatever that you can correct it when realized and you pocket a little cash as you do it. We operate in an anti whipsaw mode it turns out. It is something that has a tinge of humor about it.

People who trade and who are trained in NLP don't have NLP clients. Joab is trained and he uses his training to make money more ably because he has a basis of knowing how the markets work and as a consequence, he uses NLP to his advantage.

There are very very few people who are trained in NLP who areable to help traders simply because they are not expert traders. So why can'y you become an expert trader? Who knows. Don't ask your NLP trainer.

#42     Feb 6, 2007
  3. It is true that the NLP world has become what you describe.

On the other hand the concepts and best practices are very different than that which you know to be true and happening.

#43     Feb 6, 2007
  4. Joab

Joab

This is exactly the type of nonsense that NLP marketers attempt to sell you and one of the main reasons I have such contempt for it.

As a study John Grinder (co founder) was by far the most scientific of them all and he took NLP to a new level.

For those serious about learning language / brain connections, I recommend a deep search for his work.

#44     Feb 6, 2007
  5. Joab

Joab

Jack,

I'm very aware of what is and could be possible, read my post above and I think you will see where i intended to go with my original comments on the subject. :)

#45     Feb 6, 2007
  6. MartinT

MartinT

to

Joab
    Chill out, it's a chat forum, we both know Richard and John or Paul McKenna are not going to make a conference call to justify your credibility. I'm sure you have good reason for your behavior and i'm pretty sure you're right about the NLP circuit being mostly about money, i would also agree that it's more effective in psychiatric therapy, i take it thats why there are so many familiar traits with Milton Ericksons work? but it changed my life and trading for the better. Aspects of NLP skills can be implemented to your trading with dramatic effects. Lifes to short, relax and enjoy it, i'm not out to rip any one off or pretend to be anything i'm not, i was just interested in speaking to like minded traders trying to make a $ the best way they can, all the best Joab p.s. my Master Prac cert cost me a lot more than $1500, :D

#46     Feb 6, 2007
  7. Joab

Joab

Yes, I'm sure it did ... :)

I assume you worked with Paul ?

Paul is a great stage hypnotist (I once was a victim) lol.

Best of trades to you.

#47     Feb 6, 2007
  8. MartinT

MartinT

joab

Thank you:)

Having studied NLP for so long, what makes you so angry about aspects of it?
    Do you think you can model the success of others?

All the best to you

#48     Feb 6, 2007
  9. NLP will deliver 5 10" blonde super models to your apartment on a daily basis.

Alright Martin you got my attention again. I have four questions. (1) What is NLP (2) How much Does it cost
    (3) can I take it WITH meals?? Also (4) will the girls clean?
    I know it sounds really old fashioned but I've already done the club and coke thing and the apartment is looking messy. Thanks.

#49     Feb 6, 2007
  10. I really like NLP. Although, reading this thread I am not sure what qualifies as NLP and what doesn't anymore

I like Tony Robbins tapes as well as Marshall Sylver, whom is a hypnotist, but I believe uses some NLP in his subconscious reprogramming.

I also listen to a subconscious reprogramming disk from time to time, specifically for trading.

All of the above have give me some level of positive result, with no negative benefits.

:cool:

Dan

#50     Feb 6, 2007