The Monkey Calendar

Discussion in 'Options' started by cdowis, May 24, 2008.

1. cdowis

cdowis

Thanks for you comments.

I only did goog and bidu because they have dec/jan calendars which are relatively inexpensive, with good risk/reward.

For me this is a business. I got out because I reached an account stop, but I intend to refresh my account with an acceptable account balance. The market can destroy you if you allow it to continue to drawdown the account to zero.

My lesson here is that I should have closed ALL positions when I lost 5-10% of my account. Shut everything down for at least a month. Now I shut it down until I can get new money which may be many months.

Anyway, thanks for your comments and encouragement.

#141     Sep 23, 2008
  2. um... anybody out there? You guys still alive?

How's everyone doing?

#142     Oct 25, 2008
  3. cdowis

cdowis

Yep, still here.

I am now using the "Turkey Shoot" strategy. A market goes up sharply, I wait for the second day to see what happens. When it starts back down, I "turkey shoot" it by selling a far out call vertical. I am looking for a premium just above $1.

The turkey sticks out its head and I blow it away, so to speak.

A few days ago I did a RUT, and closed it a couple of days later with 85 cent profit, Fri did a GOOG call vertical and made 35 cents the same day.

I wait for a day or so after a major move up to avoid getting into trouble. In this market a one or two standard deviation move up is very possible.

#143     Oct 25, 2008
  4. cdowis

cdowis

I just don't see myself selling on the put side, so no Iron Condor, just call verticals. And, of course, the calendars are out of the question on such high volty, and the fly is just too complex with such wide spreads.

But the fly is especially cheap in high volty and can give a good return if you guess them correctly. So it would make sense on a speculative trade.

Finally, after GOOG moved down, it may make sense to place a put spread to balance out the call spread, if I think the maket has hit bottom.

#144     Oct 26, 2008