The Momentum Factor Is Real. Too Bad It Doesn't Work.

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Nov 26, 2018.

1. %%
    Could be a help, surely it cant hurt. But as they say in Chicago;the smarter you are- the longer it takes LOL.
    Looks like the bears did so well in short/medium term trading in NOV-i helped them LOL.:D:D

#21     Dec 1, 2018
  2. ironchef

ironchef

Me too.:(:banghead:

#22     Dec 1, 2018
    murray t turtle likes this.
  3. %%
    Good thing its not 95%.LOL, The expression ''the smarter you are, the longer it takes'' ;means trading can be hard.It doesn't mean you have to use a long term trend plan , but that can help profit.:cool::cool:

#23     Dec 1, 2018
  4. ironchef

ironchef

Just to clarify and avoid controversy , not #MeToo.

#24     Dec 1, 2018
  5. comagnum

comagnum

No its not - there are countless discretionary CTAs and equity funds that have fully audited closed NAV track records spanning years to decades. Or just look at the Forbes richest traders list, the vast majority are discretionary traders.

Discretionary trading is the essence, the core of trading period. All systematic trading is based on discretion to build, endless discretion to tweak, and gut wrenching discretion to keep it running through draw-downs.

What the whales call the momo factor is holding a nearly static portfolio of last years momo leaders, geez - no wonder they suck! Momo trading goes way back to the rise of the the independent traders that made large profits year over year & still are, they have a distinct advantage over the big lethargic institutions when it comes to momo trading.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    #25     Dec 1, 2018
  6. d08

d08

What I should've said was that it's not repeatable, at least not exactly.
    Not sure most on Forbes list qualify as traders in this sense, they cannot be compared to retail traders with sub 1M accounts.

#26     Dec 1, 2018
    comagnum likes this.
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker