The minimal profit for auto trading

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by amitman, Apr 28, 2009.

1. gold@42

gold@42

What are your losses? If you can make money consistent with out the big loss, then take the small profits

#11     Apr 29, 2009
  2. You're not providing enough information.

#12     Apr 29, 2009
  3. Hugin

Hugin

If you want a useful answer you need to provide information about the risk of the system. ~25% annually is good if the Sharpe Ratio is >2, not so good if its <0.5. A problem with a relative small edge is that it can easily disappear and it is hard to know whether it is gone forever or if you're just in a normal drawdown period. The number of trades would also give some input on whether the system is working. If these results come from a few trades I would be a bit concerned with the long term profitability.

/Hugin

#13     May 1, 2009
  4. 1 pip simulated expectancy is not enough. Execution / platform / exchange errors will easily wipe out this kind of a tiny edge. More profit margin is also needed to buffer against shifts in market statistics no taken into account in your simulation.

Back to the drawing board.

rt

#14     May 1, 2009
  5. gora

gora

That strategy type you use? If scalping - 1 pts per day is very small profit.

#15     May 2, 2009
  6. To OP,

What is your success rate and avg. win to avg. loss ratio?

#16     May 2, 2009
  7. amitman

amitman

Since i'm not the main developer pf the system I'll try to get more information. What I can say is that there is a trade once in two days and is goes for a few hours. Seems to me the biggest problem of the system is that th PT is to low (currently only 10 pips) and currently this system has no stop loss only a time-based one which can cause enormous losses.
    Just for thought what should a typical PT/SL for trades in the 5 minutes timeframe that lasts a few hours in the USD/JPY
    TIA
    Amit

#17     May 2, 2009
  8. Why don't you simulate it and find out? It sounds like you haven't put nearly enough research into to this before asking questions you can answer by yourself.

rt

#18     May 2, 2009
  9. amitman

amitman

Don't be so quick to judge. the reason I'm not the one doing the simulation is becuase Inm just an assitant to this system which is beeing developed for almost 8 years with many quantical equtions I seriously don't understand and don't have to since I'm only offering my knowlagde in trading in order to move this system forward into practical measures. Hence, I can't preform the simulations but any information could be in use. So I'll pass it on.

#19     May 2, 2009