The mini ice age starts here

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Jan 11, 2010.

1. http://www.dail*****.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1242011/DAVID-ROSE-The-mini-ice-age-starts-here.html

The bitter winter afflicting much of the Northern Hemisphere is only the start of a global trend towards cooler weather that is likely to last for 20 or 30 years, say some of the world’s most eminent climate scientists.
    Their predictions – based on an analysis of natural cycles in water temperatures in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans – challenge some of the global warming orthodoxy’s most deeply cherished beliefs, such as the claim that the North Pole will be free of ice in
    summer by 2013.

According to the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado, Arctic summer sea ice has increased by 409,000 square miles, or 26 per cent, since 2007 – and even the most committed global warming activists do not dispute this.

The scientists’ predictions also undermine the standard climate computer models, which assert that the warming of the Earth since 1900 has been driven solely by man-made greenhouse gas emissions and will continue as long as carbon dioxide levels rise.

They say that their research shows that much of the warming was caused by oceanic cycles when they were in a ‘warm mode’ as opposed to the present ‘cold mode’.
    This challenge to the widespread view that the planet is on the brink of an irreversible catastrophe is all the greater because the scientists could never be described as global warming ‘deniers’ or sceptics.
    However, both main British political parties continue to insist that the world is facing imminent disaster without drastic cuts in CO2.

LOL. This is absolutely awesome.

2. I'm not sure if it's a credible source (yet), but the article is interesting and I love this comment:

For example, in 1974, a Time magazine cover story predicted ‘Another Ice Age’, saying: ‘Man may be somewhat responsible – as a result of farming and fuel burning [which is] blocking more and more sunlight from reaching and heating the Earth.’

You have to love human nature and our short memories.

3. I like this guy. I hope he's not fictional :D

Like Prof Latif, Prof Tsonis is not a climate change ‘denier’. There is, he said, a measure of additional ‘background’ warming due to human activity and greenhouse gases that runs across the MDO cycles.

But he added: ‘I do not believe in catastrophe theories. Man-made warming is balanced by the natural cycles, and I do not trust the computer models which state that if CO2 reaches a particular level then temperatures and sea levels will rise by a given amount.

'These models cannot be trusted to predict the weather for a week, yet they are running them to give readings for 100 years.’

And...

‘People were accusing me of wanting to destroy the climate, yet all I’m interested in is the truth.’

4. Leading climate scientist challenges Mail on Sunday's use of his research

"It comes as a surprise to me that people would try to use my statements to try to dispute the nature of global warming. I believe in manmade global warming. I have said that if my name was not Mojib Latif it would be global warming.

"There is no doubt within the scientific community that we are affecting the climate, that the climate is changing and responding to our emissions of greenhouse gases."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/11/climate-change-global-warming-mojib-latif

5. Sounds like the climate Nazis got to him.

It also sounds like his opinion is similar to many level headed people. Sure, humans are having an affect, but compared to what the Earth's climate is doing naturally, it's minimal at best and there's a possibility the increase in carbon dioxide has slightly countered a natural drop in temperature of the next few decades. The climate Nazis probably want to hang him by his balls.