The Meteors Are Coming!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Feb 17, 2013.

1. What the hell is a C/H/A guy ?

#11     Feb 17, 2013
  2. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah..... try to pass it off as a joke question instead of the reality that CNN anchor Deborah Feyerick is too ignorant to be on the air.

#12     Feb 17, 2013
  3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

The guy doesn't know what he doesn't know.

#13     Feb 17, 2013
  4. pspr

pspr

I would like to see if he could shine a flashlight in one ear and have the light come out the other. I think it's a real possibility with futurecurrent.

#14     Feb 17, 2013
  5. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I'm not saying that I could install a furnace or air conditioner but I think I'm more inclined to recognize big gaps in my knowledge and to occasionally try to fill those gaps where possible. I'm sure FC knows lots of things that I don't know but my impression is that climate isn't one of them.

When I worked as communications lead for Sea Launch I did some joint work with our meteorologist and got to know him (and his wife) socially as well as professionally. He said that getting a PhD in meteorology was a humbling experience because so little is known about the underlying regulatory mechanisms and impossibly complex interactions between the atmosphere, the seas and the influence of the Sun.

Another friend of mine works at NOAA and invited me to the World Weather Building in Silver Spring, MD a couple of times to watch the World Weather Briefing. What I saw was basically a fight that takes place early each morning as the various greybeard meteorologists argue the merits of the 3 large climate models that are employed. Those models often diverge significantly and the various factions in NOAA have to unite each morning in their decision about which model is most representative of what is actually happening with the weather. Its amazing to me that anyone can produce a math model of the climate that is predictive at all but they have. The European model is the most complex of the 3 models used and is the product of decades of programming and tuning after analysis of what is really occurring. I imagine that at some point in the future we will have a model that is dead-on accurate. Farmers and ranchers will know to a high degree of accuracy how much rain they will receive. Citrus growers will know the exact dates that their groves will experience frost. Mariners will know well in advance what sea-states they will encounter in transit.

Or North Korea will lobe a few nukes, ignite WWIII and we'll go back to living in the stone age. :D

#15     Feb 17, 2013
  6. pspr

pspr

I think some science has taken a big step backwards with the Global Warming debate becoming so political. Scientists have destoryed their credibility with falsified and manipulated data and politicians buying of scientific results with targeted grants. And then the U.N. got involved with their agenda of wanting to attach a huge burden to the U.S. and other western countries with cap and trade and wanting to funnel huge sums from wealthy nations to poor and wildly anti-American countries.

Much of the integrity that has been built up in the scientific community in the eyes of the public has been lost and it will take a lot of work and the ending of the political manipulation of scientific results before the public will trust scientists again the way they did 30 years ago.

#16     Feb 17, 2013