The Mentor's Dilemma

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Emil Kraepelin, Jan 30, 2009.

1. The problem starts with the title "Mentor's Dilemma"

Then it gets much worse when the "mentor" projects into the trillions after a couple of years

Standard paper trader plans - "If I use Fixed Fractional" and this much leverage for a sustained time, then..."

They forget things like Risk of Ruin, or the fact that very few people have a serious long term outperformance edge, or especially, the discipline to execute like this.

Usually it ends with "Gee, I didn't see that coming..."

#11     Jan 31, 2009
  2. That was Jack Hershey's promise.

Cocaine, nkhoi, Tums, Swordsman aka R. Raskolov and now Neoxx to name just a few have bought the story hook, line and sinker.

And I've seen with my own eyes, it just ain't true. :p

#12     Jan 31, 2009
  3. Only a moonhead would fall for it.
    Moonheads all...

#13     Jan 31, 2009
  4. So, my absurd examples aside, it should be patently obvious that ANY profitable trading system has such an enormous net present value that only a fool would sell it, much less reveal it for free on ET. Suppose there were such a fool. What would happen? A deep-pockets third party would either negotiate to remove the system from public view, or "off" the inventor, or engage in a massive campaign to discredit him. So either an allegedly profitable system posted on ET is utterly fraudulent, or it will shortly disappear from view. That tells you all you need to know about long-running threads here.

#14     Feb 1, 2009
  5. with that example, you could give each member of ET $10k of their own to try out your method on their own.

#15     Feb 1, 2009
  6. You can stop there.

But seriously, Jesse Livermore has already come and gone...

#16     Feb 1, 2009
  7. Are you saying the B Team might be secret Hershey traders who want to hog all the profits and keep others away?

#17     Feb 2, 2009
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Man, so many unsupported assumptions, I don't know where to start!!

1. Why do you think that most people would actually recognize a profitable system?
    2. Even if they recognize it, they might not be interested in using it.
    3. Removing old threads isn't that easy.
    4. Long running has nothing to do with posting a profitable system.
    5. Assuming that people actually recognize a profitable system, would discrediting the thread work?

I posted 3 different threads using 3 different profitable strategies. I am still waiting for the deep-pocket guy to show up! (also, why would they bother to remove it when well, see point #1?)

If you know any, please don't hesitate to point him in my direction! :)

And please take a logic class...

#18     Feb 2, 2009
  9. Nah, I'd go with the $50 a day and world domination. There's so much that needs to be done.

#19     Feb 2, 2009
  10. Did someone "off" Jack? Has Jack been "offed?" Say it isn't so! :eek:

#20     Feb 2, 2009