The Megacity Economy: How Seven Types Of Global Cities Stack Up

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Banjo

Banjo

Handle123 likes this.
  2. Handle123

Handle123

Back in the 1950, there were many more small farmers making a fair income, people were having kids to support the farms much more. But as times changed and abortion became legal, much less Americans were being born, can you imagine the impact of Caucasian race has done to itself alone not to mention later on Hispanics and African Americans on having less kids and their kids and their kids? If you want to discuss why we are in the boat with huge leak and problems we have created for lousy economy, can start there alone. And women going to work in the 1960s trying to bring the family in a little extra has changed our economy as it started to reduce the amount of jobs and income for men who use to be the one who only worked. Can you imagine only one member of the family working and not only did they have enough to live, but new car every few years and vacations? I remember well we went on vacations till around 1967 then it became harder to make ends meet, and so many other families as well.

The farmers been screwed long time as most husbands and wives now have to have a full time job to keep the farm going. And farms that were close to cities been sold to developers as cities and suburbs keep moving outward. I am all for cities getting bigger as I am going to country to live and have a farm/ranch to kick up some dirt.

None of this is going to matter though, people don't change unless they receive pain in some way. But more and more people are getting cancer but living longer, kids getting cancer as well much more.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/01/26/cancer-death-rate-declines.aspx

3. It will be interesting to see how moves to urbanization will impact commodity prices

4. Cuddles

Cuddles

I have my own prediction that the 'singles' market will continue to grow as well. I've been thinking investment wise how to capitalize on this.

5. Sell cats to women about to turn 30.

sle and lawrence-lugar like this.
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

7. Cuddles

Cuddles

No joke, but you just reminded me to buy some stock in pet food industry.

8. This is already happening in South Vietnam, and Bangkok.

20 year olds aspire to live in apartments, and Korean builders (primarily) are constructing them.

9. ironchef

ironchef

There are hardly any single family houses in either Singapore or Hong Kong. Come to think of it same in NYC....

10. Sig

Sig

Wow, you managed to weave abortion, Hispanics and Blacks, women in the workplace and some nonsequiter about cancer in that rambling complaint about how everything's going to hell in a handbasket in a thread about cities. What a miserable view of the world!

And guess what, your Norman Rockwell view of the 50s is mostly false and certainly false for anyone who wasn't white and male.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    #10     Feb 13, 2017
    Surgo likes this.