The Mechanics of Running the Book?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ayn Rand, Aug 7, 2022.

1. Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand

I see this all the time. Market is trending down. After a respectable decline there is a volume spike and the price reserves. (QQQ/SPY)

What is the characteristics of this spike in volume generating a price reversal?

Is it a single order? Is it a market order? How is a large market order processed against the book?

I have seen this kind of action near low of the day that makes sense but also at higher levels.

Why run a big buy program after a relatively large increase in price?

2. It cannot be a single market order (unless a fat finger of course), because this would move the market too much and the whale or market participant would get much worse fill. It should be filled something with VWAP or TWAP.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Market orders take liquidity (limit orders as shown in the order book). If the sum of market orders (demand) exhaust available liquidity (supply) at a given level - the market will move higher or lower as a result until those market orders are filled.

When the market is in balance, i.e., demand equals supply, the market ain't really going anywhere.

One way to see the market is as a continuous two-sided auction.

4. VSTscalper

VSTscalper

murray t turtle and TrAndy2022 like this.
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

I'll try not to do it next time:-
    ! QQQ.png

6. easymon1

easymon1

What would say price behavior is during the time between these volume spike and the price reversals?

7. schizo

schizo

First, how do you know that these are market orders, let alone a single order? These days, HFTs and algos of all stripes use various order tactics to fool everyone else. It's nearly impossible to pin down these orders.

As far as soaking up all the orders on the book, isn't that the only way to reverse the direction? It's like applying the brakes to slow down the car before making a U-turn.

I'm not sure about these days, but way back in the 90s and 2000s, all the buy programs that came in towards the end of the day were mutual funds.

8. Could you say more about this program trading please ? What was the Reward-Risk-Ratio over a good sample of trades with their signals ? Did they have deep drawdowns ? How accurate were they and how long time is that ago ?

9. Most likely stops being triggered with no follow-through. Classic way for large volume to get their resting limits filled. Push price in a direction until stops trigger and fill their resting limit orders for the direction the large volume actually wants to trade.

stargrazer likes this.
  10. %%
    FUN read, the part I'm reading. They started with EF Hutton, 1982:D:D

#10     Aug 8, 2022