The measure of GOD

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Mav88

Mav88

no, that's not exactly right. Mathematics was not an imitation, and many engineered items have no parallels in nature. There is a large field in electromagnetics right now called metamaterials because the materials produced have no natural analogies.

#11     Dec 14, 2009
  2. "You, your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambition, your sense of personal identity and free will are in fact no more than a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated molecules." -Francis Crick

Francis Crick, great scientist...lousy philosopher...typical of those who study parts and then speak in the pejorative with certainty about the whole and cause of the whole...something they have no understanding of.

There might be a soul, but so far the only thing that has been discovered is that there is a high probability of brain matter wishing there was one."

There might be a soul...do tell.

#12     Dec 14, 2009
  3. How would mathematics have begun without man observing the physical relationships between things first...

Man certainly did not invent relationships that predated man, and all of these relationships, chemical, magnet, electromagnetic, gravitational, etc. are at the base of mathematics.

Man has figured out some of the way things work because of these relationships of matter and energy, both on a concrete physical and a non concrete mental level...but nothing was actually discovered that wasn't already there...

#13     Dec 14, 2009
  4. Quote from Mav88:

Mathematics was not an imitation

there is nothing particularly original in mathematics. Algebra, calculus, geometry, probability, statistics and most everything else were developed to quanitfy observations. Motion, form, quantum mechanics and a lot of other things. Even fib is observed often, although it is pretty useless in trading.

many engineered items have no parallels in nature. .

they follow natural laws

#14     Dec 14, 2009
  5. and yet you expect that your projection onto scripture must be accepted. Perhaps you can prove this assertion in a way that is entirely convincing, and not based on your own particular beliefs and opinion.

#15     Dec 14, 2009
  6. I have vhehn on ignore, as he is basically a hot air balloon with an angry face painted on. But since you quoted his cherry picked einstein quote:

Einstein was not an atheist, since he also complained about being put into that camp:

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

"I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God."

#16     Dec 14, 2009
  7. Mav88

Mav88

I can see many of you don't have a formal education in mathematics. Math is an abstraction and not a model, quantum mechanics is underpinned by mathematics that you cannot grasp by simply 'observing nature'. Much of mathematics is not even useful in physics.

We engineer the world around us in ways not imitating or inspired by nature. Saying that we manipulate within natural laws doesn't in any way say we are imitating anything, both nature and us have constraints- big deal, says nothing.

Einstein was a deist, not a theist. He said the personal god idea was rubbish but he held out the possibility of some undefined god concept. Far from supporting the god of abraham he specifically wrote a letter to a priest outlining his disbelief.

#17     Dec 14, 2009
  8. Mav88

Mav88

#18     Dec 14, 2009
  9. Mav88

Mav88

come to think of it, there's a deeper question... why do I argue with uneducated religious cavemen like optional?

#19     Dec 14, 2009
  10. nitro

nitro

#20     Dec 14, 2009