The measure of GOD

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Dec 13, 2009.

1. nitro

nitro

I was recently thinking that it is possible to some extent to measure the power of GOD.

Think about this for a moment. One of the biggest consumers of computing power in the world is the scientific community, i.e., the computers at the Large Hadron Collider or Bookhaven National Laboratory. Their computer rooms are something to behold, something like 10^30 protons and neutrons assembled into computers. These hundreds of computers in a cluster are used as floating point processors, the cluster being able to sustain on the order of several teraflops, or trillions of floating point operations per second. They labor for months, or about 10^7 seconds. At the end of this massive computation, get ready, they have calculated what a single proton does every 10^-24 seconds, or a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a femtosecond!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtosecond

Bridging this gap in design and understanding is so vast, that an amoeba has a greater chance of bridging it's intellectual gap with that of a human being, spontaneously.

2. morganist

morganist Guest

it is not really possible. if you think about it people do not create they imitate. all inventions are based on observations of nature and the physical laws. they watch and copy and put things together.

engines are lots of laws and observations construed to produce no creation is there just the bringing together of natural design.

if someone was to replicate the power of god they would have to create a new colour or change physical laws. could you invent a colour and i do not mean mix the ones you know that is bringing together existing things again. could you invent a colour like blue or red. until then you will not be able to understand the power of god.

3. nitro

nitro

I would be content to come within one quintillion (one thousand quadrillion, or a million trillion) of the power of a single proton's capacity to compute. A single proton has more computational power than all the computers in the world put together!

Quantum computers in theory hold this sort of promise. I (or the entire human race) could not duplicate what GOD has created even if you gave us a million years. Only that we should come at least within the same galaxy of possibility. Right now, like I said, we are not even children in the face of GOD, more like insects, or one cell protozoa, in terms of technological knowhow.

Another possibility is that nature is not computational in the sense that we compute or even in the way that quantum computers compute. If so, it will take an Einstein of the future to realize this and describe a machine we can build that does what a single proton does. I doubt we come within several hundred thousand orders of magnitude even in a thousand years.

4. Mav88

Mav88

What kind of god are you talking about?

I hope you aren't suggesting on the one hand that nature is god and therefore almost infinitely powerful in calculation and complexity, but yet communicated to us through some 2000 year old children's story book

5. kut2k2

kut2k2

And more to the point, what the hell kind of "computations" does he think a freakin' proton is doing? :confused:

A proton exists, it does not "compute".

6. speaking of einstein:

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."

An abridgement of the letter from Albert Einstein to Eric Gutkind from Princeton in January 1954,

7. Einstein was a smart man. He had an IQ of 160.

Of course Da Vinci had an IQ of 220+ and he believed in the existence of God and the existence of a soul.

Advantage....Da Vinci.

So tell me Vhehn...do you think you are smarter than Da Vinci? That you "figured out" something that he couldnt? Do you think you are smarter than someone that envisioned such inventions as a Tank, a parachute,a flying machine, a helicoptor, a cannon, ect.?

But you have this whole God thing figured out, right? Thats because you read Dawkins book(or went to his websites and saw a few clever quotes that you thought were funny)

8. This is exactly right. +1

9. you think maybe human knowledge has advanced since davinci lived?

10. So you're saying Da Vinci discovered and proved the existence of a god and a soul but he decided to keep it secret? Da Vinci's belief in a god and a soul is about as meaningful as Aristotle claiming that a human can fly if he just taps his feet three times. The only legitimate argument for a god is the first cause argument and it takes an IQ of 70 to understand it. All other arguments for the existence of a god are not arguments for the existence of a god. They are statements wishing there was a god and eternal life.

"You, your joys and your sorrows, your memories and your ambition, your sense of personal identity and free will are in fact no more than a vast assembly of nerve cells and their associated molecules." -Francis Crick

There might be a soul, but so far the only thing that has been discovered is that there is a high probability of brain matter wishing there was one.

#10     Dec 14, 2009