The Meaning of A Trading Edge

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tradingjournals, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Do you think I "buy" trend trading courses?

#51     May 12, 2012
  2. No, you just misinterpret the definition of trend and delay entries for far too long. You have a conceptual disadvantage in the screenshots from code I saw in your pms.

#52     May 12, 2012
  3. If you can not identify your 'edge' in a trade then there is no trade to be made. What factor is it that gives you the conviction to make the trade. The bigger the edge, the greater the conviction. It is entirely how I size my trades.

#53     May 12, 2012
  4. I'm not ashamed of underperforming your superior system.

#54     May 13, 2012
  5. No , maybe some scammers think you can give an edge with a trend trading course.An edge may not be identifiable.

#55     May 13, 2012
  6. ammo

ammo

as long as you want,as long as it holds, the simplest edge is to identify support or resistance and trade towards it as we approach and away from it as we repel,minimizing losses when it breaks and maximizing profits when they hold

#56     May 13, 2012
  7. Any aspect of market behavior a trader uses to generate consistent profitability.

For Marty Schwartz, he likes the 20 day MA and other TA tools. Richard Donchian trend followers used MA crossovers. Jim Rogers relies principally on fundamental analysis. Paul Tudor Jones likes Elliott Wave Analysis. Jim Simmons has computer programmers that crunch data to find non-random behavior. Each of these individuals are successful, but all generate that profitability from different methodologies.

Also, edges constantly change. What worked very well last year may not work as well today. You always have to adapt to changing market conditions. Even supertrader Jesse Livermore couldn't make money some years. Commodity whiz Peter Brandt had a string of several consecutive years of flat returns. Good traders can recognize subtle changes in the market environment and alter his trading in order that he continues to have an edge that allows him to make money.

#57     May 13, 2012
  8. There are no edges because there are too many others out there who are smarter, richer and have more power than I who also see everything.
    I prefer to use the term "my trade" which is simply my technique that I find profitable and easy to use.

#58     Jun 5, 2012