the mathematics of persistence

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by darkhorse, Nov 26, 2005.

1. What are you complaining about when you get food stamps and free school in a relatively free country? Being poor is the 3rd world is another story, no food stamps, no foster home, no social welfare. Nothing.

There is something worse than poverty: Irresponsible wicked abusive parents. I had one such parent. It is hard enough to be poor, it is worse to be hated and poor.

I believe that being born to wealth is a tremendous edge - unless you are unfortunate enough to have wicked parents.

#71     Dec 12, 2010
  2. Who is complaining? Did you even read what I wrote?

The "tremendous edge" comes from being born in a relatively free first-world country -- exactly as I stated. That is the "wealth effect" that matters.

As for being born with a silver spoon in one's mouth, that is the edge I disputed, based on observation and experience (plus a direct familiarity with such types). Kids who have everything when they grow up, including doors opened for them and connections made for them, tend to be coddled. Coddling makes you weak. When everything is handed to you, your ability to handle adversity, to achieve on your own without help, is cast into doubt.

In contrast, look to the backgrounds of great athletes and business leaders, and even many great traders. Among those who accomplished much you will find a surprising prevalence of hardscrabble upbringing.

Being knocked around as a kid tends to toughen you up. Later in life, you need a system in which excellence and hard work are rewarded and capital investment opportunities are available -- hence the first world advantage. But within the context of first world opportunity, being born rich is a bullshit advantage. I'd rather be a seriously tough motherfucker (which I am) than have Thurston Howell III as my sugar daddy.

What's more, to the degree that you or anyone else ascribes success to something you don't have -- "I didn't have that advantage, so I can't make it like they did" -- you only do yourself a disservice.

Eric Hoffer:

"There are many who find a good alibi far more attractive than an achievement. For an achievement does not settle anything permanently. We still have to prove our worth anew each day; we have to prove that we are as good today as we were yesterday. But when we have a valid alibi for not achieving anything we are fixed, so to speak, for life."

I say fuck that shit.

#72     Dec 12, 2010
  3. I don't believe in "achieving" as the be all and end all life. Money is important, very important when you don't some basics and flexibilities in your life. Great & fame may not be the goal of many.

I met kids from prep schools, they were self-confident, some obnoxiously so. Their family have money and connections.

#73     Dec 12, 2010
  4. #74     Dec 12, 2010
  5. Why do you presume to know me? Did I ever say that achieving, or money, is the be all end all of life?

May I humbly suggest you stop making unwarranted assumptions based on your personal projections.

And before you make any more, read this, also written by yours truly: http://metaprocess.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/the-fun-race/

Prep school kids: If you can't tell the difference between "obnoxious self-confidence" as presented to the outside world and real, genuine self-confidence residing as a calmness within, then you have far to go.

Re, Livermore, Maverick74 nailed it: Bipolar. Manic Depressive. Such a condition can be life-destroying wholly independent of one's ambitions or lack thereof.

Hippie, please stop whining and start thinking. You are bringing a knife to a gunfight -- and a butter knife at that.

#75     Dec 13, 2010
  6. Sorry, Darkhorse, I mis-read your earlier message. I still think that being born to wealth is a great advantage in life. This is not just a better foundation for success in adult life, but being able to enjoy one's childhood and school days w/o worrying about a livelihood.

#76     Dec 13, 2010
  7. We can agree to disagree, but I'll add this -- I would take growing up poor in a house with unconditional love, versus growing up rich in a cold-hearted mansion any day.

Apart from food in one's stomach and a warm bed to sleep in, it's a sad childhood that is defined by material things.

#77     Dec 13, 2010
  8. Same here if that is the choice. Please bear in mind that poor homes are not more loving than wealthy homes in general. Poor families can be just as cold and abusive as wealthy ones.

#78     Dec 14, 2010
  9. easymon1

easymon1

#79     Apr 19, 2022
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  10. Always avoid comparing yourself to other traders and try taking a break every now and then. Keep in mind the time and instances when you were successful and reward yourself for every successful session.

#80     May 3, 2022