The market is random

Discussion in 'Trading' started by college_trad3r, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Sort of like the 'aha' moment you get when you see how an SVM takes 2D data
    (that does not appear linearly separable) and moves it to higher dimensions.:D
    Clearly a revelation for most who get it, and it doesn't require subjective, obfuscated voodoo visionary crap to see either. 100% objective.

#31     Oct 5, 2009
  2. piezoe

piezoe

I'm cooking a picnic ham at the moment but thought I would just interject here that if your definition of "random" is that the market has been jerking you around lately, why not just come out and say so. Then we can all agree; according to your definition the market is random.

I might add that in statistics the term random has a rather specific meaning depending on context -- so i suppose that in the context of stock market random can have the meaning "its jerking me around and i can't figure it out."

P.S. I simcerely hope this is not another of my thread destroying posts.

#32     Oct 5, 2009
  3. wutang

wutang

I do actually have that thread bookmarked for your discussion with Swan, and I plan on reading back through your post history. I've found that the best way to learn anything on this forum. Read back through the history of those who seem credible until you find something that is either helpful or reveals them to be as clueless as myself.

I'm not interested in your fish. I'd like to learn how to catch my own. The current game plan is to school my self on probability and stats, learn how to program models in excel, eventually learn some other programming language(s), money/risk management, ins and outs of exchanges/order routing, and maintain a healthy dose of skepticism and humility. I figure with those building blocks I'll at least be able to better filter out the noise of most information on trading and maybe begin construct hypothetical strategies (which I'll be able to test!) of my own. Thanks for the response. It is appreciated.

#33     Oct 5, 2009
  4. There are no "consistently profitable traders".
    Not in the long run.

Those who profited by luck alone, won't make it in the long run.

#34     Oct 5, 2009
  5. You are on the right track.

Even if not random, markets are too complex for anyone (or any computer) to predict.

Read Fooled by Randomness by Taleb Nassim.

#35     Oct 5, 2009
  6. The markets are not only random but much more random then the relatively tame normal distribution. When you think of it for a moment, trading has to be difficult, because if it were easy anyone could do it and there would be nobody left to do the work necessary to run a society. If trading was as easy as the commercials tell you, the government would have to change the rules to protect the scarcity of money. Traders provide a service to the marketplace, i.e. liquidity. You are working but you are not guaranteed payment for your services. One suggestion I haven’t heard yet to get around the randomness problem is “trading”. Investors have to be right to make money, but traders can make money trading. A trader can develop strategies that don’t require being right all the time, such as being market neutral, and using some kind of hedging technique.

#36     Oct 5, 2009
  7. When I first began trading I didn't study technical analysis. I met a trader who taught me that this was the only way to find order in the markets. Two years later, it has steadily become clearer. You begin to see the small nuances that guide you. Learned only by staring at the charts day after day. It is all in the charts, Start with large time frames... Daily and down to the 3 minute chart. I lost 20k in my first two years trading.. paid my tuition, now I have my 2 year Master's degree in technical analysis, and have become consistantly profitable. Just have patients Daniel-san

#37     Oct 5, 2009
  8. piezoe

piezoe

The "normal distribution" is not random. In the statistical sense associated with the normal distribution defined by Gausses equation, "random" means that observations, from which the parameters of the normal distribution will be estimated, are made in random order. The distribution itself is not random.

By the way, the ham came out great.

#38     Oct 5, 2009
  9. FB123

FB123

This statement reveals your lack of understanding of even high-school level statistics, and you have no idea how much every successful trader is laughing at you right now.

I'm sure it makes you feel better as a failed trader that their success is all due to luck though. You keep on living in dream-land my friend, it's no skin off my nose.

#39     Oct 5, 2009
  10. sakhter

sakhter

Market is not random & luck has nothing to do with it. For some reason you are jaded. Is it because you do not have a winning strategy?

seems so.

#40     Oct 5, 2009