The market is not random

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ivanbaj, Jan 6, 2009.

1. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

"My major hobby is teasing people who take themselves & the quality of their knowledge too seriously & those who don’t have the guts to sometimes say: I don’t know…."

Nassim Nicholas Taleb

#21     Jan 7, 2009
  2. The point is that there were 18 and 23 in 250 to 300 boxes. It is not that there were 23 in a row that is interesting.

#22     Jan 7, 2009
  3. isnt there a thread in the oil futures section where someone called someone 'grasshopper' then promptly got their fucking head handed to them on a wrong long from 57 down to 35?

#23     Jan 7, 2009
  4. OVVO

OVVO

http://www.riskglossary.com/link/stable_paretian_distributions.htm

The market is not random.

All coin toss examples are pretty much useless in the context that you will never find 2 identical market participants (a head and a tail) such that the weight of the coin is exactly distributed. One participant will inevitably have a larger weight (skewness) to the market outcome due to the non linear functions which all participants are comprised of.

Hence, there are trends in "random" data.

#24     Jan 7, 2009
  5. BSAM

BSAM

Ivan, do you trade real money?

#25     Jan 7, 2009
  6. Not sure. I trade USD. In my neighborhood they consider them real.

My trading method has nothing to do with this discussion.

#26     Jan 7, 2009
  7. Let me ask this another way. How many throws do you need to determine if a coin is fair?

#27     Jan 7, 2009
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Right. But, since you trade real money, I just wonder if you can teach us a method that works 100% of the time, since you believe markets are not random? Thanks.

#28     Jan 7, 2009
  9. OVVO

OVVO

The coin will never be "fair" in the sense your thinking of. You're implying a Gaussian distribution which is not what markets operate under.

#29     Jan 7, 2009
  10. Someone flys a plane into a building, but before they do, their friends buy put options on the airline stocks.

The airline stocks go down, and their friends make profit, so is that random?

#30     Jan 7, 2009