The market is not random, but TA does not work

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by shark, Aug 30, 2008.

1. In the time frame I operate in, TA does work. Actually, I consider nothing else, and I've been pretty successful. However, I do think it's useless if you're money management is poor.

T
    http://actionpointsta.blogspot.com/

#21     Sep 1, 2008
  2. hughb

hughb

TA has been gaining wider and wider acceptance over the last few years. Back in the early 90's in the Money/Investing section of the WSJ there would be a simple bar chart of the Dow Industrials, the Transports and the Utilities. Fast forward to the mid-90's and they put a moving average on the charts. Fast forward again to today and they have a candlestick with two moving averages on it. They also have up, down and sideways arrows in the market data section next to the stocks in the Keeping Score section to indicate if the shorter term moving averages have crossed above or below the longer term moving averages.

This is not a good thing. The less people using TA, the better. A lot of the Market Wizards who were interviewed in the first book in the 80's that used TA have seen their systems perform much more poorly over time, and I think it's part of the TA information explosion. William Echardt even wrote about it and posted it on a website. I printed out the comments and I have them around here somewhere. If I can find them I'll post them here.

Myself, I've learned to stick to the fundamentals of TA. Price and volume. I still look at charts and I have an MACD in the window underneath it, but when I scan for situations, I'm only looking at price and volume now.

#22     Sep 1, 2008

3. Jeez, threads like this really bring out the worst in people.

Price action is TA.

#23     Sep 1, 2008
  4. Price Action is NOT TA.

TA lovers keep trying to shoehorn it in, but they are quite different.

TA is a crutch people use, putting lines, squiggles, waves and other lagging slop on the chart, trying to make money by avoiding the hard work involved in understanding how price works. It is what the 90% of losing traders usually depend on.

Price action is a realtime understanding of the market, based on hundreds to thousands of hours, learning to understand market movements through experience. It is most likely what the other 5-10% use who actually profit from the market.

PA works. TA does not.

#24     Sep 1, 2008
    #25     Sep 1, 2008
  6. ok traderzones you basically agree with us. you and kiwi are engaging in a pointless semantic argument.

i said TA works for me but i use zero indicators and agree they are mostly garbage. i use price action as you say, but there is a blurred distinction between PA and TA.

in any case the OP said fundamentals are all that counts so he excludes your PA. and so he is wrong.

PS: stop using that big font you dildo.

#26     Sep 1, 2008
  7. Price action IS a form of TA.

What is price action....fundamental analysis?? LOL

#27     Sep 1, 2008
  8. bbqbbq

bbqbbq

price action is looking at previous charts to figure out what the future charts will do, so its a form of technical analysis.

#28     Sep 1, 2008
  9. I guess I'm in the 10% camp.

T
    http://actionpointsta.blogspot.com/

"TA is a crutch people use, putting lines, squiggles, waves and other lagging slop on the chart, trying to make money by avoiding the hard work involved in understanding how price works. It is what the 90% of losing traders usually depend on."

#29     Sep 1, 2008

10. Great post, so true.

Great post too, it even rhymes.

You want, actually you NEED to be exposed to those economic and political changes.

It's those changes that trigger price movements in the markets.
    Without changes in the macroeconomic level, prices would remain flat for a long time.

#30     Sep 1, 2008