The many books written (thus far) about the Bush Administration

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thunderdog, Jul 2, 2008.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Books_about_George_W._Bush

List of books about George W. Bush
    A
    A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the Abuse of America's Intelligence Agencies
    Against All Enemies
    At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA
    B
    Bush at War
    Bush in Babylon
    Bush's Brain: How Karl Rove Made George W. Bush Presidential
    D
    Dead Certain
    Dude, Where's My Country?
    F
    Fortunate Son (Hatfield)
    L
    Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
    The Lies of George W. Bush: Mastering the Politics of Deception
    M
    The Madness of King George (book)
    O
    Bush on the Couch
    P
    Plan of Attack
    The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder
    R
    The Republican War on Science
    Rogue Nation (book)
    S
    State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III
    Stupid White Men
    T
    A Tragic Legacy
    W
    War on Iraq: What Team Bush Doesn't Want You to Know
    What Happened

Quite a legacy, eh?

2. A list of books doesn't feed a hungry child.

3. How interesting that you should mention hungry children:

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0708-08.htm

"While the Bush administration has promised to "leave no child behind," reality on the ground looks a little different.

The facts are staggering. Over 11 million American children live in poverty, 9.2 million have no health insurance, and 3.6 million suffer "worst-case" housing needs. While the US is the world leader in defense expenditures, it ranks only 17th in efforts to lift children out of poverty; while it is number one in health technology, it ranks 23rd in infant mortality.

But promises made to children back in the heady presidential campaign days seem long forgotten now. Among other photo-op commitments, the $1 billion Bush guaranteed for abused and neglected kids never materialized (although the administration somehow came up with billions for weaponry and corporate handouts). In his inaugural address, Bush stated that "deep, persistent poverty is unworthy of our nation's promise," then pushed through a tax cut benefiting the wealthiest one percent of the population. He proposed doubling the child tax credit - but only for upper and middle class families..."

http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/news/releases/child_poverty.htm

"New fully comparable figures on child poverty across the industrialized world and the 50 United States show a huge disparity from country to country and state to state. While Sweden leads the world with only 2.4 percent child poverty, New York State, at 26.3 percent, ranks last in the industrialized world – behind Italy at 19.3 percent, the closest OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) nation. California is not far behind with 25.7 percent, and in President Bush’s home state of Texas, 20.7 percent of the children live in poverty..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/30/AR2005083001727.html

"Despite robust economic growth last year, 1.1 million more Americans slipped into poverty in 2004, while household incomes stagnated and earnings fell, the Census Bureau reported yesterday. The number of Americans without health insurance rose by 800,000, to 45.8 million..."

I could go on, but really, what would be the point?

4. Yannis

Yannis

I don't know what you think this proves. The principle in media is "if it bleeds, it leads." The way to sell print is to say something negative, wrong, scary. When McClellan was essentiqally fired, he wrote an ugly book about this Administration - and when the editor didn't think it was bad enough, he pressured that idiot to "juice it up" with lies and exaggerations. People are cashing in Bush's legacy, and the way to do it (everybody knows) is to fade it... good news doesn't sell. But liberals, in their passionate hatred of the man who beat them out of the park repeatedly, are misrepresenting this too. Oh well :(

5. Bush's problem was that he pissed away too much money on liberal programs, not too little. Liberals always argue from the implicit premise that not a dime is being spent on any of these social programs. In fact billions are. Most of it has little to no effect and in some cases, demonstrably negative effects. Poverty is exacerbated by the open borders policy favored by both parties.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of child tax credits. Nevertheless, they are credits, ie a return of the taxpayer's own money, not handout programs. So of course the only people who can claim them are the middle and upper income taxpayers. They are the only people paying income tax. Of course liberals would prefer for the government to subsidize and thus encourage poor people to have babies they can't care for. That's what government is for in their view. But I am a uniter, not a divider.

6. Yannis

Yannis

There you go again TDog, quoting three leftist groups and pretending it's alright, fair and balanced, as if we won't notice.

Maybe they have something true to say, but I wouldn't trust them, I'd like a more balanced set of studies and don't have the time to look for them, I work for a living.

Here are some questions that come to mind:

1. If things are so bad, why are so many millions flooding this country?

2. What is the role of our failed Welfare system (led by the Dems) in all this?

3. If the vast majority of new jobs are created by small business, why is Obama threatening to raise taxes on those who are in the best position to create new opportunities for others, including corporate taxes that will make the US even less competitive?

4. Isn't New York a Democrat state, Hillary's back yard? Shame on her!

5. New York is Elliott Spitzer's state too, right? At least we all know what kept HIM busy :)

etc etc

7. Read a few and we'll discuss it. I think it's interesting how many insiders have written negative books about GWB. Perhaps more so than for any other president? I don't know, but I'd be curious to find out.

8. If you say so.

9. Oh yes, you are the picture of balance. And I know you don't have time to look at such studies because you are too busy copying and pasting every pro-Bush and anti-Obama passage that you can find. And a fine living it is.

10. I didn't see The Bush Boom: How a Misunderestimated President Fixed a Broken Economy

Top Review:

Finally! A book that proves the existence of an alternate universe. Obviously, a rip in the space/time continuum between this universe and the other universe where Bush is presiding over a 'boom economy opened up and this book fell through. Can there be ANY other explanation?

-------

Get your Dow 10,000 hats ready, we're heading there along with the dollar index to visit the 60's as Bernanke is this generation's Arthur Burns as academics like to risk inflation if it means cutting rates to spur employment. Run-on sentences be damned!

#10     Jul 2, 2008