The Long Retreat of Liberalism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trader666, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

#51     Jul 23, 2011
  2. Huh? Are you having trouble with basic logic, mate? Let me reiterate what I have been saying all along.

The original article states:
    "For, from Greece to Ireland to Portugal to Italy, from California to Wisconsin to New Jersey to New York, the crisis of the West is a crisis of liberalism."

I suggest that this statement is false and silly, because:
    a) Scandinavian countries are part of the West, they're liberal and they're not in crisis, as evidenced by a whole variety of metrics that I have mentioned.
    b) Conversely, Ireland is not a "liberal" country, but it is in crisis.

I hope this is sufficiently clear.

#52     Jul 23, 2011
  3. Oh please... you've discombobulated point after point and didn't admit you have a bias until I boxed you into a corner, so drop the holier-than-thou nonsense.

You gave Denmark, Sweden, and Norway as examples of where "liberalism is successful." I say that their oppressive tax burdens that have risen faster than GDP alone are a crisis of liberalism. Period.
    http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/brie...o-US-taxes-compare-internationally-2006_2.gif I wouldn't have included Ireland had I written the article.

I hope this is clear and you can understand it as written, without distorting it beyond recognition.

#53     Jul 25, 2011
  4. So which of my two statements, a), b), both or neither, are you specifically in disagreement with?

#54     Jul 25, 2011
  5. Your whole argument is off base. Just as you've discombobulated much of what I've written, you've discombobulated the statement you quoted from the article to the point that you think you can refute it with your "counterexamples." Let's take California, Wisconsin, New Jersey and New York which were specifically mentioned in that quote. NONE of those states is "in crisis" by "a whole variety of metrics" but ALL have crises of liberalism. Period. You're seeing things that are not there. It's that simple.

#55     Jul 25, 2011
  6. Incorrect... I have quoted the author of the article verbatim. The exact statement was: "For, from Greece to Ireland to Portugal to Italy, from California to Wisconsin to New Jersey to New York, the crisis of the West is a crisis of liberalism". I have nothing to say and haven't said anything about California, Wisconsin, New Jersey and New York, as I know nothing about what's happening there.

Now, be so kind to pls answer my question.

#56     Jul 25, 2011
  7. Wrong. You missed the entire point of the article. What part of my last post didn't you understand? Or are you being a troll?

#57     Jul 25, 2011
  8. Where did I say anything about "the entire point of the article"? This has nothing to do with my argument, so I have no idea why you would bring it up. If I misquoted the statement made by the author, pls don't hesitate to say so.

Otherwise, finally and for the last time, are you capable and willing to respond to my extremely specific simple question?

#58     Jul 25, 2011
  9. You've read more into the statement you quoted than is there, therefore your "reason a" for suggesting it's "false and silly" is not valid.

#59     Jul 25, 2011
  10. I haven't read anything into anything. I am just asking you to answer a simple question, nothing more, nothing less. How hard can that be?

#60     Jul 25, 2011