The loneliness of success

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Smart Money, Apr 20, 2011.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

Regarding a dog, my dog has been rather useless with regard to trading. He only recommends one stock (WOOF)!

I never get tired of discussing technical price action, strategies, setups, big trades, small trades, boneheaded trades, trades where you inexplicably buy a high tick or sell a low tick (there's always someone out there who has a trend line to explain those trades, I won't mention names but his name's tomahawk).

I turn on Skype at the pit close and often chat with other traders. Once all that excitement's over, I tell the dog his investment in WOOF is doing great and we head to the park together :cool:

#21     Apr 20, 2011
  2. orl

orl

It's funny, I was about to write a post just like yours. Well, almost. At least you have a trading buddy, I have not. As I am from Norway, I don't even know if there is another successful ES/CL (retail) trader in my country. My problem isn't really that I want other's to know of my success, I prefer to keep that private. Most people think I am just careless, and that I'm racking up credit card debt. I actually find that amusing.

It would be nice to have someone to talk about trading though, but I guess ET is a decent substitute....

#22     Apr 20, 2011
  3. I avoid talking about trading with non traders at all cost. Nothing can be more annoying and pointless.

#23     Apr 20, 2011
  4. I thought that "GRRR" has more volatility and potentially can goes explosive!

#24     Apr 20, 2011
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Is failure less lonely in this career path?

#25     Apr 20, 2011
  6. Sounds like what you need is a humble hobby that is an easy topic of conversation. Something that you can mention and bond with people over. Say, hiking, surfing, clubbing, sailing...

#26     Apr 20, 2011
  7. NoDoji

NoDoji

I had an interesting experience recently while playing a game with a group of friends and acquaintances. I made a comment to my friend about how she should trade one of her game pieces for mine. "I am a trader, you know." And one of the other woman turned to me and said, "Are you a day trader?" And I said, "Yes." And she said said, "Do you use the Fibonaccis?"

That was just totally unexpected. :eek:

#27     Apr 20, 2011
  8. bighog

bighog Guest

Nod, i was reading that and guessed the answer before you said his name..:D

#28     Apr 20, 2011
  9. Yes...there are tons of failed traders. :)

#29     Apr 20, 2011
  10. Roark

Roark

I guess you're not making enough or are too cheap to pay for a shrink.

#30     Apr 20, 2011