The loneliness of success

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Smart Money, Apr 20, 2011.

1. tobbe

tobbe

hear hear

:)

#231     Mar 26, 2013
  2. I called bullshit on not talking much about trading because ur afraid your huge trading secret will get out. Most people don't want to trade, they are not really likely to take from your conversations some occulted knowledge that will make them a great trader, thus negating the efficacy of your method. I was a pretty successful trader, and it pretty much had to do with looking for good entries, managing the position, closing losing trades, closing losing trades, and systematically taking profits, and systematically taking profits, and not over trading, and waiting...a lot, and waiting some more, and graphing my equity daily, and keeping my account at a certain amount, withdrawing when im over the mark and depositing when im below it, joining a profesisonal firm for tax simplicity, paying for education in courses, mentors and lost money.

None of this is a great big SEEECRET, its a skill. What else comes to mind, oh yeah, being a good pilot. Following procedure, not betting the farm on getting there today, simulation training, proper mindset. Checklists, checklists, checklists. etc.

I don't think the commercial pilot is going to not talk to you about any job specifics because he's scared you will corner the market on pilots and he will lose his job. Simiarly, no one trader has ever cornered the market on all the capital in the world!

Trust me, talking to people about your method does not endanger your future earnings in probably 99.99 percent of the cases. Have more faith in your skill as a trader. They guy at the tennis court probably doesn't want to trade like you.

#232     Apr 24, 2019
    umpalumpa, volpri, Onra and 1 other person like this.
  3. Further, if you take 20 trades: most likely 10 to say 14 of them are duds on either side of the fence, you win a little, you lost a little. maybe 3 or 4 could have been huge losers, but you cut them right? and 2 or 3 were big winners. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO MAKE MONEY ACCEPTING THIS REALITY. So even if you tell them your magical method (and I know all of you think you have a magic method), probably none of them want to take the years it takes to train mentally to accept the factual reality of trading it takes to become successful. Talk to people about how you felt about your day, that's what you need when you are a trader, and don't worry about revealing your Holy Grail. Thanks Trading Tribe.

#233     Apr 24, 2019
    comagnum likes this.
  4. @pairsarbtooo

You said you were a pretty successful trader? Not any longer...? Your quoted win rate isn't particular high either.

What you're saying makes sense if you're trading using public knowledge, i.e., standard TA in books and your interpretation of it. But if you actually found, discovered or developed what you call a 'magical method' or even a 'Holy Grail', there's no way you'd lay out the specifics on a public message board, even if it diluted your edge or not.

As for diluting your edge, that is obviously dependent on strategy, liquidity, timeframe/latency, etc.

#234     Apr 25, 2019
  5. I wrote you a long response, but in the end I deleted it. I am not here to educate you, and you have some things to learn.

Cheers.

#235     Apr 25, 2019
  6. Educate me? That would be nice. :)

Or maybe you could say specifically what part of my post is incorrect.

#236     Apr 25, 2019
  7. dozu888

dozu888

of course success is lonely.. just accept it and adapt to it.

you will find that you have these conversations with people who are on much lower networth bracket and you have to adjust to that; you will find people who assume you are on much lower bracket and you have to adjust to that too.. but none of this is big deal.

instead of trying to find outlet to 'talk about it'... find ways to give. to help.. that's the proper outlet... I give to music programs, fair education programs, veterans, organizations for sick children, the Trump campaign... also, give cash to every beggar I see.. and take homeless guys to steak dinners... believe me that's a great way to share your success.

#237     May 3, 2019

8. Stop paying all your monthly bills immediately. Soon you will feel lonely no more. Then later, you will truly enjoy loneliness but in a new form - aloneness self-sufficiency

#238     May 3, 2019
  9. Fibo_Lisa, please find another hobby besides trolling ET.

BTW, you and Padu are a match made in heaven. You should move to Seattle and room with him. You guys could use your SSI to cover the monthly bills, and all of Padu's income could go to re-funding his $7 fx bucketshop account. I realize that Long Island to Seattle is a long bus ride for a guy with a bad back, but I feel that with enough opiates, you can handle it.

When are you going to exit your $43mm SPY short from 30 pts ago?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    #239     May 3, 2019
    themickey likes this.

10. ??? ?

upload_2019-5-3_8-32-10.jpeg

#240     May 3, 2019