The loneliness of success

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Smart Money, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Heh...nothing I'm doing or have done is for sale...I assure you.

I have a dog and its a pain in the ass.

The other advice is good. I'm open to more ideas.

SM

#11     Apr 20, 2011
  2. You may want to consider some volunteer work in your local community.

#12     Apr 20, 2011
  3. The distinction is that I can't talk about what i'm doing and its killing me. I have plenty of friends, but I just can't discuss what I'm most interested in with them. In that aspect, I'm lonely. No guilt over the success (yet) either. :)

#13     Apr 20, 2011
  4. The solution is truly to find a hobby, preferably something that involves physical exercise, like tennis, golf, climbing, hiking, and then to talk about that with your new "buddies". The downside is minimized that way. If you talk about trading you are bound to give away too much, not that people would get it anyway, but still.:D

#14     Apr 20, 2011
  5. Managed to meet some really great traders here on ET. Believe it or not there are some here who trade for a living and have been doing so for years.

Find some like minded people in the same situation as you and form a chat group. It's great for for being able to talk shop and bounce ideas off each other and just BS in general.

Traders hang out with traders. No one else gets what we do or what makes us tick.

#15     Apr 20, 2011
  6. _PD_

_PD_

The power of ET. I went to my local library online to reserve a copy and I'm already waiting for 8-10 weeks.

#16     Apr 20, 2011
  7. Instead of saying that you're involved with trading, tell people that you work with computers. Other people are more likely to "respect and understand" that. :cool:

#17     Apr 20, 2011
  8. You could always buy it or get a pirated copy online for free. Too much work I guess.

#18     Apr 20, 2011
  9. Can you talk to your shrink? He/she is bounded by confidentiality.

Like they have it in movies... even an assassin can tell his shrink what he does for a living.

#19     Apr 20, 2011
  10. cstfx

cstfx

Exactly. Find a group of traders, either locally or electronically, and communicate with them. Like Red says, no on gets what we do - the general public's perceptions have been manipulated by Hollywood. Newsflash! It ain't lunch at 21 everyday!

#20     Apr 20, 2011