The likely cause of climate change on a geologic time scale.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by piezoe, Jul 3, 2021.

1. piezoe

piezoe

https://www.ias.edu/ideas/2015/shaviv-milky-way

As anyone who has read my posts knows, I am a critic of the science backing the Hansen Hypothesis that Anthropomorphic CO2, if unabated, is going to cause catastrophic global warming. I strongly favor joining the Paris Accord and alternative energy research for reasons other than the Hansen hypothesis.

I have said rather unkind things about Hansen, which I believe are well deserved. He , as a scientist should know better, and I think he owes all of us an apology for his very non-scientific conduct.

The paper linked to above presents what in my opinion is the best hypothesis so far advanced to explain long term climate fluctuations on planet Earth. Unlike the Hansen Hypothesis, it is at least, so far, consistent with all observations. A single observation that is inconsistent with an hypothesis must be either proved incorrect or the hypothesis must be rejected. Numerous observations, and theoretical considerations too, are inconsistent with the Hansen Hypothesis.

If Shaviv's hypothesis becomes widely accepted as correct he will no doubt share the Nobel Prize with his colleague, and it will be well deserved.

Every now and then a bright creative scientist breaks with conventional thinking to establish new scientific frontiers. It would seem Shaviv is such a scientist. I have known of his work for several years but this 2015 paper makes it somewhat accessible to the general public.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  2. easymon1

easymon1

solar system.jpg

https://www.resonancescience.org/blog/Is-Our-Solar-System-Heating-Up

This article popped up after a quick and dirty search.

It could use an editor.
    ymmv,

Still and all, it makes an interesting point, that if correct, lends new perspective to "Global Warming" and invites consideration of "Solar Systemic Warming" due to some 'local' "a region about 30 light-years across" cosmic weather.

Nir Shaviv
    "...Many evidences are visible that not only on Earth but on all planets of our solar system, climate changes are happening in a very short period of time. "

"...This heliosphere shields us forming a gigantic bubble which surrounds and protects our solar system from harmful galactic cosmic rays, these high-energy particles that zip through the universe [17]. Thanks to Voyagers 1 leaving the Solar system, we now have a good vision of it and of its shielding effect. It appears to be an indispensable protection for our fast moving throughout the Universe [18]. But, with a weaker heliosphere Earth will begin to endure more and more the cosmic rays."

"...Earth is rapidly losing two of her natural magnetic shields, a protection against cosmic rays. But, in reality, Earth has been having three magnetic shield for a very long time, the third being the local Cloud. In fact, our solar system has been voyaging through the very low density Local Interstellar Cloud, a region about 30 light-years across. This ionized Cloud by its composition was acting as a magnetic shield from all heavy ionized particles coming from the Universe. However, this Earth third protection is nearly gone. The Solar system is moving in a lower density region of the Cloud [20] and we already began to see the effect in terms of more and more cosmic rays absorption. While it is very difficult to predict climate and temperature in the long range, we can assume that extreme meteorological events could become frequent in a near future."

galaxy milky way.jpg
    galaxy hubble image archive.jpg

Image Archive: Galaxies
    https://esahubble.org/images/archive/category/galaxies/

Relax, Have a Homebrew.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  3. easymon1

easymon1

piezoe likes this.
  4. easymon1

easymon1

warming 987 glacial retreat.jpg

5. easymon1

easymon1

Have you posted on the reasons to favor joining the Paris Accord?

the paris agreement pro con - Search
    https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=the+paris+agreement+pro+con

6. piezoe

piezoe

It seems to be a good idea to look for cleaner sources of energy. And although the push to lower CO2 emissions may not be justified by the global warming science which seems hopelessly defective, it will nevertheless result in developing alternatives to more polluting sources of energy from fossil fuels. I am all for not crapping up our atmosphere with a lot of particulates and nitrogen oxides. I welcome electric cars, windfarms, solar cells and cleaner air. We can save our petroleum as a feedstock for the chemical industry. If we in the U.S. don't do this , other countries will, and we'll fall behind in important areas such as battery and solar cell development. Joining the Paris accord is a way to justify what we should be doing anyway, even if it is for the wrong reason. We need to make sure we don't leave a bunch of coal minors without jobs or resources so we need to provide high quality job retraining and temporary financial support for those miners who are displaced as we ramp down coal use and ramp up alternative energy sources.

7. piezoe

piezoe

8. Overnight

Overnight

Save the Spotted Owl! If it goes away, the earth will FUCKING DIE!

9. easymon1

easymon1

Looks reasonable to me too, piezoe. I think you and Shaviv are on to something.
    Here's his article you posted.
    https://www.ias.edu/ideas/2015/shaviv-milky-way

Like the entire solar system is riding on a flatcar and the train is emerging from an area of fog into clearer air and so less sunlight is absorbed by the clearer surroundings so more sunlight strikes all of the planets.

Also sounds like Shaviv is saying that Cosmic Rays from universal sources not at all related to the Sun also have freer acces due to less stuff to reflect them away from the solar system so more of those bad boys are coming down to glaciers and genomes near you too.

Guy on the radio keeps records of the electrical output of his solar array and said this year is far and away the most he's ever seen. He recognizes that cloud cover weather in general, as opposed to climate make this less than scientific fact, but he's convinced nonetheless. Has to detune his setup to harvest from fewer panels so the breakers in his charging rig don't trigger as often.

Is Our Solar System Heating Up? - Search
    https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=Is+Our+Solar+System+Heating+Up

data on Interstellar Cloud density change correlated with cosmic ray absorbtion. - Search
    https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=da...correlated+with+cosmic+ray+absorbtion.&ia=web

warming 986 lower density local cloud.jpg
    warming 986 warming up.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  10. easymon1

easymon1

#10     Jul 5, 2021