The less you trade, the more you win?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by gettinglucky, Mar 5, 2010.

1. GG1972

GG1972

false for a positive expectancy system
    true for a negative expectancy system

but since we are talking about making money--false

#11     Mar 5, 2010
  2. pspr

pspr

I think it is more like a bell curve. And, for some, the top of the bell is at a higher number of trades than for others.

#12     Mar 5, 2010
  3. charts

charts

#13     Mar 5, 2010
  4. Cheese

Cheese

The less you trade, the more you win?
    This question is posed in a vacuum. If you do not have a reliable methodology, whether you trade less or more, you will not be winning.

Assuming daytrading with a reliable (very high probability) system in a liquid and volatile futures market, the more entry signals you take, the more you win. The less you trade your signals, the less you win.
    :)

#14     Mar 5, 2010
  5. if you know how to set a stop loss
    its far easier to have a very bad day taking 50 trades than it is taking 5 trades

#15     Mar 5, 2010
  6. joe4422

joe4422

It depends on what type of trader you are. If your a scalper, it's a pointless question to begin with.

The implied point is to sit back and let your winners run. The other point is to pick your trades, don't let your trades pick you.

That said, if you've got a great system that keeps firing off winners, and your a very short term trader, then the more you trade the more you make.

#16     Mar 6, 2010
  7. What a riot.

CL is heart attack material, it acts like it's being traded my asylum patients.

#17     Mar 6, 2010
  8. It depends, but I'm thinking it could probably be true. Less trade, you get to focus more on your trading.

But it will still depend on the person.

#18     Mar 8, 2010
  9. GE2009

GE2009

Depends on you expected outcome of each trade.

If:

(A) has an expected outcome of 10/trade but only trade once per week, (B), with an expected outcome of 1/trade, but trades 100 times per week, will have better results!

#19     Mar 9, 2010
  10. pwrtrdr

pwrtrdr

True for me

trade ONLY when I see a definite set up and not a feel like it trade, they end up bad in long run :(

#20     Mar 9, 2010