The legitimate complaints against Bush regarding the response to Hurricane Katrina

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hapaboy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Sulong wants to discuss this issue (further) to a great extent, but hasn't figured out how to start a thread in ET.

So I have done it for him.

Your welcome, Su.

2. Do you actually have anything to contribute to this thread? What do you think are legitimate complaints? Or you're only willing to discuss "illegitimate" complaints?

3. What are you getting testy with me for? This thread was started for Sulong's benefit, after all, a clearinghouse for his grievances against Bush re: Katrina. When is he going to list his points? A tad ungrateful, if you ask me...

As for moi, if you ask nicely, I may respond.

4. Nah, it was not meant to be testy, really. Just kind of funny, you're so obviously unwilling to discuss real issues using any excuse imaginable. Wrong thread, right thread but created for someone else's benefit, right thread but someone is (allegedely) testy with you... As long as you don't have to say that Bush fucked up big time. As big as Iraq, maybe bigger.

You and Malkin would rather keep refuting minor irrelevant points that virtually nobody is making and nobody cares about with a noble purpose of muddying the waters and obscuring real major fuckups of this administration.

5. That's not asking nicely. That's making assumptions and jumping to conclusions. Typical. Kind of funny, actually.

I guess you're not up to speed with the statements of your leftist brethren, then.

6. Please keep this thread on topic, if you have nothing to contribute don't post. You can start another thread "dddooo is mean to me" if you wish.
    :D

Frankly I don't really care what Bush apologists like yourself have to say about it, the fact that you can't even spin it and use every excuse do divert the discussion to minor unrelated issues is quite telling. Your silence is golden.

PS Let me guess though, you have not received latest talking points from Karl Rove yet, right? Rest assured he's working on them and they are going to be good. It will be (gasp) Clinton's fault.

7. Help was requested on August 28th, one day before the landfall, never received.

State of Louisiana
    Military Department
    OFFICE OF HOMELAND SECURITY
    AND EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS

August 28, 2005

The President
    The White House
    Washington, DC

Based on predictions we have received from the National Weather Service and other sources, I have determined that this incident will be of such severity and magnitude that effective response will be beyond the capabilities of the State and the affected local governments and that supplementary Federal assistance will be necessary.
    I am specifically requesting:

http://gov.louisiana.gov/Disaster Relief Request.pdf

8. July 8, 2005: Brendan Loy on Hurricane Dennis: "A direct hit on New Orleans by a major hurricane would, as we've discussed before, be very, very, very bad. Like 100,000 deaths bad. Like the complete destruction of an entire city bad."

August 25-26, 2005: Katrina hits South Florida.

August 26, 2005, 5:23 p.m.: Meteorologist Jeff Masters: "The threat of a strike on New Orleans by Katrina as a major hurricane has grown... It would be no surprise if later advisories shift the forecast track even further west and put Katrina over New Orleans."

August 26, 2005, 11:25 a.m.: Masters: "I'm surprised they haven't ordered an evacuation of the city yet. While the odds of a catastropic hit that would completely flood the city of New Orleans are probably 10%, that is way too high in my opinion to justify leaving the people in the city. If I lived in the city, I would evactuate NOW! There is a very good reason that the Coroner's office in New Orleans keeps 10,000 body bags on hand. ... New Orleans needs a full 72 hours to evacuate, and landfall is already less than 72 hours away."

August 26, 2005, 1:57 p.m.: Brendan Loy: "At the risk of being alarmist, we could be 3-4 days away from an unprecedented cataclysm that could kill as many as 100,000 people in New Orleans.

August 26, 2005, 9:44 p.m.: Governor declares state of emergency.

August 26, 2005, 11:22 p.m.: Loy: "f I lived in New Orleans, I would definitely leave at this point. Tonight. Barring a major change in forecast, I expect the evacuation orders to come tomorrow." The order would not come for another 24 hours.

August 27, 2005, afternoon: Mayor Nagin says "this is not a test," "batten down the hatches" – but evacuation is still voluntary.

August 27, 2005, 7:34 p.m. Loy: "I can't emphasize enough what a bad decision I think it is for New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin to delay the mandatory evacuation until tomorrow morning... Will Ray Nagin go down in history as the mayor who fiddled while New Orleans drowned? Could be."

August 27, 2005, evening: Governor Blanco interrupts Mayor Nagin at dinner after President Bush appeals for a mandatory evacuation of the city, telling him to call the National Hurricane Center. He subsequently orders a mandatory evacuation for Sunday, 24 hours before landfall.

August 27, 2005, 9:16 p.m.: Masters: "New Orleans finally got serious and ordered an evacuation, but far too late. There is no way everyone will be able to get out of the city in time..." He places New Orleans' chances of being destroyed at 20 percent.

August 28, 2005, 4:31 p.m.: Loy says it may be too late for those who waited for the Mayor's order to evacuate.

August 28, 2005, 4:13 p.m. CDT: National Weather Service dispatch: "MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS... PERHAPS LONGER... AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE... WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS."

August 29, 2005: Hurricane Katrina makes landfall.

August 30, 2005: New Orleans levees fail, flooding the city.
    machavel RedState

9. A detective you shall never be. A true Bush apologist would not have acknowledged that legitimate complaints exist.

As for calling it a "minor, unrelated issue," please convey that message to the many Left pundits, journalists, and blogmasters who would disagree with you.

Very appropo for good dialogue. You see, that's why "discussing" issues with you is not a good investment - in time or energy.

10. Fuck Bush. I knew he was bad but I would've never expected this. I regret voting for him.

#10     Sep 2, 2005