The king of real estate's cashing out

Discussion in 'Economics' started by K.C., Oct 23, 2005.

1. No jackass, that's 11.21%/yr. What a putz.

#21     Oct 23, 2005
  2. Hey FX - wow that is amazing performance by your aunt!! I guess speculating genius runs in the family!!

Hey, could you help me out with the above post? I just want to get better and I didn't understand your analysis of a 20% compounded annual rate of return losing 380% to the field in a market that has gone up 300-400% in 15 years.

Thanks as always

#22     Oct 23, 2005
  3. nah, I think Warezo is better at figuring up compounded losses.

better to ask him/her.

however, if you want to learn about trading the British pound you can ask me.

better yet, get on the other side of my trade in the open forex market.

guaranteed learning experience.

:D

#23     Oct 23, 2005
  4. lol... I am sure that you meant that your aunt's property is worth $2,000,000,000, not $20,000,000, right? Hey, anyone can make a keypunch error.

Just like when you said compound losses, you meant compound gains, right? You must be dealing with a complicated position in the overseas markets or something like that, otherwise you wouldn't have made that slip.

But seriously man, please - I just need to understand your calculations here. I mean you are one of the best fx traders on ET and wasn't that 45,000% in two weeks that you did some kind of record? You shouldn't joke around about not being good at math - you are obviously some kind of math savant.

So when you said your aunt's property was worth $20,000,000 - did you mean $2,000,000,000? Is that why you said that the appreciation beat 20%/year over the 65 years? Actually I'm not even sure that 2B would beat 20% on 20K over 65 years...??? Confused on this point, fx... as usual!! :(

If you could help me out on both these points it would be appreciated man.
    Thanks as always.

#24     Oct 23, 2005
  5. bottomline:

sht real estate
    long terrorism

#25     Oct 23, 2005
  6. Why would anyone read a magazine for anything other than entertainment?

The Grandaddy of them all:

August 13, 1979 Business Week : "The Death of Equities "

November 1997:

[​IMG]
    "Oil prices won't rise even if demand soars."

Dec '97
    [​IMG]
    "Now that you know there's limited upside potential for stocks, what to do?"

Oct '99
    [​IMG]
    "The Internet Age." Sample headline: "A New Era of Bright Hopes and Terrible Fears
    Companies that can 'blast you out of your place' abound."

--------------

Magazines are garbage. Nothing more than talking ya book. Waste of time and money.

#26     Oct 23, 2005
  7. *YAWN*

there's no use debating with an amateur who can't even open a live fx trade.

post to someone your own trading level.

#27     Oct 23, 2005
  8. Then why don't you ask her to fund a Forex account for you? I mean, you were giving up two weeks ago because you're account was too small (odd for someone who is the self proclaimed "forex god").
    Show her your "astounding" 29% gain on your demo account and then ask if she wants in. She would be a fool not to write you a check. :D

#28     Oct 23, 2005
  9. Hi FX

lol... actually, I wouldn't ever presume to engage in a debate with someone of your stature. I just wanted a clarification regarding the calculations you posted.

I know you're a busy guy, but if you wouldn't mind, could you post here with the two clarifications I requested?

So the first one is regarding your statement that $1,000,000, if compounded for 15 years at 20%, would lose 380% to the field assuming $1,000,000 investment in a real estate market which increases 300-400% over the same time period. My bogus calculations show that the money simply compounded at 20% would grow to something over 15MM in that time. Could you explain your calculations there? I really want to understand this stuff and I am a good student!!

Second but less important is your statement about your aunt's property, when you said that an increase from $20,000 to $20,000,000 in 65 years was better than a 20% return/year. It seems like that appreciation equates to something like an 11.21% return/year. Was this a keypunch error on your part? I just wanted to make sure I am understanding everything you say because I don't want to miss anything out of ignorance.

If you could post here with these two clarifications, I would appreciate it. I have discussed this matter via PM with a bunch of people and we are all interested in understanding your thoughts. You may not know it but you have quite a following here at ET - a lot of people are interested in analyzing your posts to see if we can gain some knowledge about you and the markets. This is what happens to people who accomplish all that you have!!

Thanks, and I'll be waiting for those clarifications.

BTW... I read on another thread how that 45,000% return in 2 weeks that you made would have eventually been 90,000% by your calculations, had those in charge of the trading not shut you down. This is always the way it goes man - people don't like to see others succeed and they would rather shut you down than acknowledge your superiority. I am sure that you can laugh about this now but at the time it must have really sucked.

#29     Oct 23, 2005
  10. It would be important to know whether this 20% return was cash on cash, or leveraged. The article doesn't say.

But if this guy started out with $100mm, he's now got about $1.5 Billion. I doubt if many people beat that!LOL.

Keep in mind, that over the period of 1990 to 2005, the median house in Los Angeles went up 6-7% as I recall. It dropped 30% or thereabouts in the first 5 years.

If this guys return is "cash on cash", (and my guess is it is), then I doubt if many people beat the return on a "cash on cash" basis.

OldTrader

#30     Oct 23, 2005