The kinder, gentler side of Islam

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Pop Sickle, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Somali adulterer stoned to death

Islamists in southern Somalia have stoned a man to death for adultery but spared his pregnant girlfriend until she gives birth.

Abas Hussein Abdirahman, 33, was killed in front of a crowd of some 300 people in the port town of Merka.

An official from the al-Shabab group said the woman would be killed after she has had her baby.

Islamist groups run much of southern Somalia, while the UN-backed government only control parts of the capital.

This is the third time Islamists have stoned a person to death for adultery in the past year.

Al-Shabab official Sheikh Suldan Aala Mohamed said Mr Abdirahman had confessed to adultery before an Islamic court.

"He was screaming and blood was pouring from his head during the stoning. After seven minutes he stopped moving," an eyewitness told the BBC.

The BBC's Mohammed Olad Hassan in Mogadishu says that if the woman is also killed, her baby would be given to relatives to look after.

Meanwhile, President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed has accused al-Shabab of spoiling the image of Islam by killing people and harassing women.

"Their actions have nothing to do with Islam," said the moderate Islamist during a ceremony at which he nominated a new administration for the capital, Mogadishu.

"They are forcing women to wear very heavy clothes, saying they want them to properly cover their bodies but we know they have economic interests behind - they sell these kinds of clothes and want to force people to buy them."

Last month, two men were stoned to death in the same town after being accused of spying.

A 13-year-old girl was stoned to death for adultery in the southern town of Kismayo last year.

Human rights groups said she had been raped.

Another man has also been punished in this way in the Lower Shabelle region.

Mr Sharif, a former rebel leader, was sworn in as president after UN-brokered peace talks in January.

Although he says he also wants to implement Sharia, al-Shabab says his version of Islamic law would be too lenient.

The country has not had a functioning national government for 18 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8347216.stm

2. on the lighter side...HIV rates are down 90% in somalia....I wonder if their is any connection?

3. Also a question for you people that think this is intolerable. How many of you would kill the man that slept with YOUR wife (or your wife) if it was legal in the US? I mean that is the definition of Adultery, to sleep with someone elses spouse. Im sure if it was legal here to kill the man that slept with your wife (or your wife) it would be rampant here.

4. And that's exactly why it's illegal in the civilized world. It's of course perfectly legal in the Islamic world which is still living in the 7th century.

5. So what is your solution? Genocide and holocaust people because of their beliefs?

Drop WMD onto them (well, this is the current plan)

Turn them into bible thumpers?

Shove our culture (SBUX, latchkey kids, drugs, violent movies, war) down their throats?

6. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if most all people in USA have religion, what you are saying about "rampant" prove it is (LAW) and mix with (EMPATHY) that stop murder, not religion

7. No, my solution would be to ignore them while they slaughter each other. So long as they confine their killing to each other, so be it. If it were only that simple. Inevitably they bring their violence to us at which time I would launch the nukes killing every last one of them. Should have been done years ago.

8. Take oil out of the equation.

We would not be in the middle east at all...

...and they would not be bringing their violence to us.

Israel can fend for themselves, even they will admit to that...

So why the fuck have we essentially done nothing since the oil embargo over 30 years ago to get off the oil addiction?

9. TGregg

TGregg

13 years old? Damn, that's old for the islamics - old enough to start fighting back. They don't care for that. She musta been really small and weak for her age.

10. Yawn, EVERY army commits war crimes ever our own.

Snap out of it, ok?

--------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre

The My Lai Massacre (Vietnamese: thảm sát Mỹ Lai [mǐˀ lɐːj]; English pronunciation: /ˌmaɪˈleɪ, ˌmaɪˈlaɪ/ ( listen),[1] Vietnamese: [mǐˀlaːj]) was the mass murder conducted by a unit of the U.S. Army on March 16, 1968 of 347 to 504 unarmed citizens in South Vietnam, all of whom were civilians and a majority of whom were women, children, and elderly people.

Many of the victims were sexually abused, beaten, tortured, and some of the bodies were found mutilated.[2] The massacre took place in the hamlets of Mỹ Lai and My Khe of Sơn Mỹ village during the Vietnam War.[3][4] While 26 US soldiers were initially charged with criminal offenses for their actions at My Lai, only William Calley was convicted. He served only three years of an original life sentence, while on house arrest.

#10     Nov 8, 2009