The kidnapped British soldiers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sputdr, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Hmm, the rest of the world (including Iran, Saudi Arabia etc) seems to believe they have the moral authority to point fingers at us...and Israel...and no one else. In fact the rest of the world does not seem to be concerned at all whether they have the moral authority, they just point fingers. No one is perfect of course but we have more moral authority than any other country on the planet, more than enough to point fingers.

#21     Mar 29, 2007
  2. Who started most illegal wars?
    Iran, Saudi-Arabia or the United States?

Iran is a pacifist country, so they have greater moral authority than the US. Guantanamo Bay is an Israeli style torture facility, without any respect for the most basic of human rights. I don't see countries like Iran having similar institutions. Perhaps that's because they don't have the Jewish "influences" that have infested the Western world.

#22     Mar 29, 2007
  3. This situation reminds me the Spy Plane Incident.
    On April 1, 2001, a US spy plane collided with a Chinese fighter while gathering intelligence off the Chinese mainland. The US plane landed on a Chinese island, where the US crew was detained for eleven days.

#23     Mar 29, 2007
  4. jem

jem

Name one illegal war started by the United States.

#24     Mar 29, 2007
  5. very similar indeed. and while the spy plane incident was being played out between the chinese and us govt, the americans in chinese custody were well fed, housed in officer quarters and just passing time until the two sides could meet somewhere near the middle. meanwhile, the american media hammed it up saying they were taken hostage and suggesting they were being tortured while the american public was demanding that we nuke china. eventually the us govt offered a semi-apology and the americans were released. the end.

dont believe the hype.

#25     Mar 29, 2007
  6. The current war in Iraq... where are the WMDs?

#26     Mar 29, 2007
  7. This type of incident illustrates the vast moral gulf between the civilized western countries and thug regimes like Iran. We value human life, unlike the islamofacists. The Iranians are well aware that Blair will be under enormous pressure to do or say anything to get these hostages back, notwithstanding that they were soldiers operating in a war zone.

There is a clear distinction between soldiers in uniform operating under a chain of command and terrorists. Comparisons to Abu Ghraib are not relevant because of this distinction. By parading these hostages, forcing confessions from them, etc, Iran has engaged in serious violations of the Geneva Conventions and should be held accountable, if they are even signatories. I'm not holding my breath. The UN and International Criminal Court are only interested in prosecuting western politicians like the former Serbian leaders or our own President. Cuba, China, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia and Iran have nothing to fear. Their appalling human rights violations go unnoticed.

Britain's action in referring this matter to the UN will only reinforce the Iranian's belief that the west is weak and unwilling to risk a confrontation. The Iranians have been diddling the international diplomatic process for years over their nuclear program, and this is no doubt an extension of that process.

There is one sensible course of action that will prevent worse trouble in the future. It is the one Teddy Roosevelt used against the Barbary Pirates when they had seized an American hostage. I forget the names of the principals, but TR said give me the hostage alive or the pirate dead. Tony Blair should tell the Iranians to release these hostages by the end of the day or face the consequences.

#27     Mar 29, 2007
  8. TEHRAN, Iran - Iran on Thursday rolled back on a pledge to release a female British sailor, and a top official said the 15 captives may be put on trial.

Iran pushing the envelope. Time to push back, hard.

#28     Mar 29, 2007
  9. as demonstrated by the life of the hundreds of thousands dead Iraqis attributable to the current Iraq war... :confused:

Who said that all the prisoners who were tortured in Abu Graib were terrorists? You have definite proof about that?

Do you have definite proof that the British soldiers were not in Iranian waters?

#29     Mar 29, 2007
  10. Do you have definite proof that they were? That's what I thought.

#30     Mar 29, 2007