The joys of socialized medicine:

Discussion in 'Economics' started by MustPlayOptions, Mar 18, 2009.

1. http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.09affc88c9815310300a92378aed0564.2f1&show_article=1

The British government apologised Wednesday after a damning official report into a hospital likened by one patient's relative to "a Third World" health centre.
    Stafford Hospital in central England was found to have appalling standards of care, putting patients at risk and leading to some dying, according to a report on Tuesday.

Between 400 and 1,200 more people died than would have been expected in a three-year period at the National Health Service (NHS) hospital, according to an investigation by the Healthcare Commission watchdog.

"We do apologise to all those people who have suffered from the mistakes that have been made in the Stafford Hospital," said Prime Minister Gordon Brown, questioned on the matter at his weekly grilling in the House of Commons.

Receptionists with no medical training were left to to assess patients arriving at the hospital's accident and emergency department, the report found.

Julie Bailey, whose 86-year-old mother Bella died in the hospital in November 2007, said she and other family members slept in a chair at her bedside for eight weeks because they were so concerned about poor care.

"What we saw in those eight weeks will haunt us for the rest of our lives," said the 47-year-old. "We saw patients drinking out of flower vases they were so thirsty.

"There were patients wandering around the hospital and patients fighting. It was continuous through the night. Patients were screaming out in pain because you just could not get pain relief.

"It was like a Third World country hospital. It was an absolute disgrace."

The British premier, who has trumpeted huge increases in spending on the NHS since his Labour party took office in 1997, said there were "no excuses" for what happened to patients at the hospital.

Health Secretary Alan Johnson said: "I apologise on behalf of the government and the NHS, for the pain and anguish caused to so many patients and their families by the appalling standards of care at Stafford Hospital.

"Patients will want to be absolutely certain that the quality of care at Stafford Hospital has been radically transformed, and in particular, that the urgent and emergency care is administered safely," he added.

2. clacy

clacy

And it's coming to a city near you!

Change you can believe in!

3. It worked great for Cuba.

4. This thread is by shrill, strident whiners who seek to justify their $1000-2000 monthly heath care bill

Here in Canada we pay $0 extra per month (above taxes) and our standard of living and mortality rate is just fine.

Yawn.

I'd have to peg this as typical american rhetoric....claiming to be the best while their population soars towards record levels of drug use, unemployment, imprisonment, obesity.

FACT: Canada has slightly lower death rate than USA:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2066rank.html

-------------

U.S.A Ranking Low In Infant Mortality Rate

Recent data from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention shows that infant deaths declined with 2% in the U.S in 2006, but the country is still ranking low among the top industrialized countries with low infant mortality rates. More precisely, the U.S occupies the 29th place today, while in 1960 it ranked 12th lowest in the world. The problem is that Americans give the most attention and pay more money than any other country for health care and despite this fact, the mortality rate of infants doesn’t drop and remains constant. In the year 2006, Americans paid $6, 714 per capital on health, which is almost double than what other developed countries spend on their health system.

Among the things some people blame for the situation are obesity, drug abuse and even a general failure of the health care system

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_USA_Ranking_Low_In_Infant_Mortality_Rate_26761.html

5. thedewar

thedewar

The arguement for universal healthcare really just stems from sociological values. If we percieve there is some semblance of sanctity in the life of humans, then some sacrifices (long waiting lines, equal treatment for all people, long periods of pain) become associated with the system. However if you believe every person has responsibility only for themselves, or maybe their immediate family, then it would make sense that people who have more money (more valued in society) deserve better treatment (whether or not they earned or inherited that money). If you believe people who have more money deserve a "better" life then it makes sense. It all comes down to perspective, and whether you empathise with people on a whole, or just people you know.

6. If you had to pick the one single act by any government in any Western nation (other than the US) that would be the fastest road to electoral extermination, it would be an attempt to convert to to a health care system modelled on the US system.

7. gangof4

gangof4

except for all the hookers on every street corner of Montreal, nearly everyone else i see in Canada is obese- hardly an American phenom.

seems every time i come across a post of yours you are shitting on the US with your not-so-subtle lack of capitalization of America or American, whilst Canada is always capitalized- what's that all 'aboot'. jesus, get over it. you're a piss ant country with a shit climate that depends on us like an infant does mamma's milk. i swear, 20% of your population has a severe case of Napoleon Complex, with yours more acute than most. jesus, it's not our fault that your heads come apart when you speak.

btw, just curious.... do you trade the Canadian market in all it's glory, or the markets of the hated US? yeah, that's what i thought.... you personally can't even make a living without us! irony.

as to health care- if you're a successful trader and/or have money... let's see what you decide to do if you need a major operation for something life threatening some day. you'll,

a. get on teh waiting list for annon-o-surgeon in the homeland. or,

b. head to the hated US like everyone else who has the means?

be honest.

8. sumosam

sumosam

every major country in the world today has a system of universal health care, except the us. Switzerland had a system similar to yours, and found it lacking. today, they have universal health care, and private pay. A major portion of the health dollar in the us goes to administration due to all the different plans.

btw, i happen to trade the cdn market, and do quite well.

In this day and age, one has to admit that the US is not the centre of the world....btw, China is a major trading partner with Canada now. If we are so reliant on you, how do you explain the fact that we have a surplus and you have a roaring deficit?

Most Americans know zip about Canada. Do you think we all speak French and wear fur coats all year long? Most Europeans prefer to come to live in Canada. You have no idea how hated America is....so, please, beg off!!!!

9. gangof4

gangof4

i grew up 90 miles from the border, i know Canada quite well and get on well with all Canadians except the Napoleon complex hate everything US crowd. well, except Quebec- that's a combination of French obnoxious with Nap. complex- a nasty combo.

the young in Quebec are great, though.

as to your 'how hated America is comment'- jesus, is your dick small too? get over this country envy stuff- it's pathetic. you're about as relevant to the world as Chad. your contribution to the world: ice fishing and poor pronunciation.

careful, next time we'll invade even if you don't bomb the baldwins...

10. I'm 'sick' of the american rhetoric and jealousy. Their system is failing. Canada's is just fine and on another thread I posted stats showing that Canada's mortality rate is even better than in the USA.

---------------------------------

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Workers-feel-the-brunt-of-apf-14723446.html

Health insurance squeezes U.S. workers
    Old and young have medical coverage, while America's workers feel the premium squeeze
    Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar, Associated Press Writer
    Tuesday March 24, 2009, 6:14 am EDT

Buzz up! Print WASHINGTON (AP) -- Cindy Ramer works full-time nursing the mentally disabled, making sure their medical needs are met.

But the 58-year-old widow hasn't had a doctor's checkup in more than three years, ever since the nursing home where she works decided it could no longer afford to offer medical insurance to its employees.

"I don't think it's fair that I'm caring for people and helping them with their health care, and I don't have adequate, affordable health care of my own," said Ramer, of Denver, Iowa.

American workers -- whose taxes pay for massive government health programs -- are getting squeezed like no other group by private health insurance premiums that are rising much faster than their wages.

#10     Mar 24, 2009