The janitor with the billion-dollar idea

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Jun 23, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

The janitor with the billion-dollar idea:Richard Montañez was a janitor who had a 4th-grade-level education, and couldn’t read or write. But he was a janitor with an idea — one that would make the company billions of dollars and become one of history’s most celebrated and iconic snack foods: Flamin’ Hot Cheetos. Here’s how Montañez went from cleaning toilets to being one of the most respected execs in the food industry.(The Hustle)

“I realized there’s no such thing as ‘just a janitor’ when you believe you’re going to be the best.”

S-Trader, Sprout, Onra and 11 others like this.
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

Great read.

3. That is a very inspirational read! But seriously that guy had initiative. Secretly making the first batch at home. Going out and buying his own product, pumping the market from day one. Simple Genius. That CEO was pretty smart, too. Not just anybody would have listened to a janitor. Really listened, that is, and let the guy run with the idea instead of stealing it.

jl1575 and fan27 like this.
  4. Amazing story. Love stuff like this. Thanks for the post.

5. Overnight

Overnight

Excellent! My favorite part...

..."At one point during the presentation, an executive in the room interjected: “How much market share do you think you can get?”

“It hit me that I had no idea what he was talking about, or what I was doing,” Montañez recalled. “I was shaking, and I damn near wanted to pass out…[but] I opened my arms and I said, ‘This much market share!’ I didn’t even know how ridiculous that looked.”

The room went silent as the CEO stood up and smiled. “Ladies and gentlemen, do you realize we have an opportunity to go after this much market share?” he said, stretching out his arms.

He turned to Montañez. “Put that mop away, you’re coming with us.”...

Talk about an adrenaline rush! I kinda' felt what he must have felt at that moment, just reading it.

NQurious likes this.
  6. easymon1

easymon1

“Ladies and gentlemen, do you realize we have an opportunity to go after this much market share?” he said, stretching out his arms.

He turned to Montañez. “Put that mop away, you’re coming with us.”

Boom

7. ironchef

ironchef

And here we are trying to restrict immigration to the rich, the educated and reject the destitute and the poor.

dealmaker and NQurious like this.
  8. He wasn't an immigrant.

MarkBrown likes this.
  9. Overnight

Overnight

Hmmm..

"As a first-generation Mexican immigrant at an all-white school, Montañez had access to few resources and struggled to understand his teachers."

10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

ah but that's what snowflakes do twist the truth to suit their needs. maga

#10     Jun 23, 2019