The Ivanovich Memorial Thread - Ivan has left the building...

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by retaildaytrader, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucrum

Lucrum

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=205230
    08-18-10 11:22 PM
    Does this mean you're leaving too?

#21     Aug 23, 2010
  2. Much appreciated commentary, folks. Thank you.

I do, as Magna stated, have another username that I sometimes come here under. However, it is rare (thankfully) and when I am bored as I do not get anything out of this site other than a laugh once in a while. The reason I chose another username was to avoid having commentary relating to my moderator time taint or otherwise affect interaction with my new pseudonym, although now that I think about it, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

The reasoning why I resigned was a hodge-podge of different things, but in essence, I believe the owners of this site prefer quantity to quality. And that's ok, it's their site to run as they wish. But it's a waste of time to try to improve (which was what I always endeavored to do).

Again, thanks for the nice words. I'll see you around.

#22     Aug 24, 2010
  3. the site is clearly dying. i am guessing that less and less people are interested in trading. the tough moderation is not the solution, neither is the forgiving moderation.

#23     Aug 24, 2010
  4. My observation was that you were moving a high number of posts to chit-chat. It seemed, at times, that you favored some posters while others you hated....you were playing favorites.

#24     Aug 24, 2010
  5. I have never seen a thread in chit-chat that didn't belong there.

In fact, I'd argue that even MORE threads should be moved to chit-chat.

#25     Aug 24, 2010
  6. You are right. If we went by Ivanovich's strict standards, then 75% of the board's messages would be placed in chit-chat and half the user-base banned. Then that would make the site a lot less popular.

Click on the "conduct rules" on the lower left and you will see how the rules seem to focus on outrageous over-the-top behavior. It does not say anything about making an off-topic post or a stupidity post. In fact, I think they even quietly did away with the penny stock discussion rule.

Baron obviously wants there to be a philosophy that highly tolerates most posts.

#26     Aug 24, 2010
  7. hughb

hughb

The board is over-moderated, period. There is way too much deleting and moving of posts. There is nothing wrong with someone posting a, "wow, look at that rally on the five minute" in the trading forum. It probably isn't the best post to start a new thread in the trading forum, but neither should it be moved or deleted.

Moderators playing favorites with members whom they like is also a problem that diminishes the quality of the board.

I remember have a fairly serious foodfite with Ivan about his moderation on this board some time back, maybe a couple of years now. And I still think he overmoderated the board, but at the time I was unaware of just how serious the problem of spammers and vandals was. I truly believe that some of the people on this board are mentally disturbed. His situation was more difficult than I gave him credit for and he was more of a concientious moderator than I gave him credit for.

As much of an unfavorable opinion I have of the board's moderation, I wouldn't be upset at all if Ivan reconsidered his resignation.

#27     Aug 25, 2010

8. So this is why you started this thread? To get even? And you waited till his body was already colder than ice? All that pretense with the opening post - and not once considering that he was a volunteer, gave up 5 hours or more per day to help - without a salary or any compensation. Let's see you doing that on one of your oil rigs, asshole.

The powers that be can turn this thing around and bring Ivan back.

#28     Aug 25, 2010

9. ET's moderators lean towards kindness - all of them. Seamless presence. That is one of the strong points at ET. Its impossible to please everybody, and Ivan has a strong personality so he was bound to rub some people the wrong way. You can't just blow off the best mod and thinks its biz as usual.

#29     Aug 25, 2010
  10. If you asked Baron, "Hey Baron, do you want your moderators giving up 5+ hours of their time per day to moderate your board and for free?"...he would probably say absolutely not. Baron seems ok with mildly profane posts and stuff that would be routinely said on the floor of a prop trading shop. I believe what he wants his moderators to do is spend a limited amount of time each day responding to complaints and posts that are clearly over the top.

I think Ivan went too far by spending his entire day on the board. It seemed like he was trying to re-make the board into his own image. It no longer became Baron's board, but Ivan's board. It seemed like Baron was trying to throw him some hints and accidentally leaked those hints in the forum.

If you moderate then you have to ask Baron how he really wants you to moderate. I think Baron wants the moderators to get rid of the clearly insane, but he doesnt want to exclude the mildly insame like Rennick and the like...

So if Ivan spent all that time here, it was clearly on him not on Baron.

#30     Aug 25, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.