The Invisible Hand That Limits Your Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rande Howell, Feb 3, 2011.

1. "Cogito, ergo sum."

#51     Feb 4, 2011
  2. jjf

jjf

If everyone played golf the world would be a better place.

Tennis is another interesting game where you are trying to master yourself rather than the opponent. and thereby break his/her game.

But golf is in a league of it's own, as is trading.

You and I are more or less on the same page with this thread.
    The difference being that you are a neutral observer and I am an active player.
    One needs the other from time to time.

In matters of overcoming limitations ......
    I discovered many years ago that rather than do the discipline thingy [which can backfire at moments of great stress I might add] I would welcome all parts of my mind and then stamp my authority upon them ALL in the same manner as sports captaincy.
    Every corner of my mind is working for my team. This, it appears, drags every little piece of self doubt out into the open where it is overwhelmed and reprogrammed

I view trading as a professional sport.
    Not a business but a professional sport.
    They are two different things entirely.

#52     Feb 4, 2011
  3. Rande,

If I may, how many years and how many traders have you worked with and what is your success rate (if I can may the term)?

Thanks.

#53     Feb 4, 2011
  4. Cardiology is a bad example. How about a sports coach? Would you take tennis lessons from someone who doesn't play?

But I share your lack of passion for trading. It is such a dull endeavor. No excitement whatever.

#54     Feb 4, 2011
  5. BSAM

BSAM

Listening to Pappy was not to be.

It was my youth that caused me to flee.

Now I trade and need a shrink.

He will tell me what to think.

I enter his door, he says don't sink.

I go out, my money gone in a blink.

At least somebody's happy.

But, me, I'm feeling crappy.

Oh why didn't I just listen to dear old Pappy?

#55     Feb 4, 2011
  6. jjf

jjf

Yes precisely, but RN has not reached that level of understanding as yet.

We understand those who are following behind, but it is a stretch to comprehend those in front of us until we open our minds.

#56     Feb 4, 2011
  7. The true path is Mark Douglas. Accepting that you don't, indeed can't, know what is really going on. And ceasing to want to know. And not caring about what is going on. Only trading your system. Doing what it says with complete dispassion. And accepting the outcome the same way. Aaaaaauuuuuuuummmmmmm.

#57     Feb 4, 2011
  8. Bis! Bis!

#58     Feb 4, 2011
  9. IMO NOBODY is out in front of RN. The rest of the pack is sniffing his butt. You want trading counselling? Get it from somebody who trades successfully. Traders become successful when they listen to the market with open ears. And the market provides more forceeful feedback than any coach can, because it bites you in the ass when you are wrong.

#59     Feb 4, 2011
  10. Redneck

Redneck

As Roark so loved AD....

apparently - jjf so now loves me

Amen DM - On not knowing, or needing to know

eta jff if it is any consolation - I'm sitting in a losing position right now - it'll either work or not

RN

#60     Feb 4, 2011