The Invisible Hand That Limits Your Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rande Howell, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ammo

ammo

same applies in trading,the more information you look at ,the further you get away from each tick,the bigger the picture,the clearer it gets

#41     Feb 4, 2011
  2. Thank you for your reply.

#42     Feb 4, 2011
  3. No. I have no passion for trading -- so it would be a mistake. I teach peak performance. My interest in traders is that there is no room for ineffective beliefs. The trading account holds the trader accountable for his beliefs. In other areas of peak performance, there is alot of wiggle room. They have to cut through their denial and face the the self limiting beliefs that drive their trading.

I liken this to a cardiologist. I don't believe he needs to have experienced heart disease to be a good cardiologist. He needs to now how to treat heart disease. As a licensed therapist, I have been working with emotional and mental regulation for years -- though I don't suffer from these conditions. And impulse and fear are rampant in trading.

Rande Howell

#43     Feb 4, 2011
  4. jjf

jjf

Trying wriggling through a pro golf match, that is why I asked you if you had any thoughts on golf.

#44     Feb 4, 2011
  5. Redneck

Redneck

Heart disease is physical

You can touch it…, taste it…, smell it…, see it..

Until and unless – you’ve walked in my shoes – I’m doubtful you can fully appreciate what is gong on in my head – at best you’ll get my interpretation of it

We are not our thoughts…. We are our actions... And we create our own reality

RN

#45     Feb 4, 2011
  6. Squirming may be a better discription. In the head game, it is always about what part of the self is currently controlling the committee of the mind. In moments of perceived pressure without mindfulness and emotional state management, it is easy for a child like fear-based part of the self to hijack the organization of the committee of the mind and produce choking as a consequence. Another term I use is the Inner Critic. That is the voice in your head that predicts negative future. Most CBT types of peak performance teach to shut this part of the self up. I have found it more useful to challenge it from a position of calm authority that also is part of the committee of the mind. It is from this calm authority taking over the committee of the mind that the golfer then executes. Mindfulness is a critical skill to develop so that you become an observer of the forces that lay beneath the hood of the mind. It is managing and observing the mind that you develop the awareness to choose which part of the self is going to grip the golf club.

So you golf and trade? That's interesting.

Rande Howell

#46     Feb 4, 2011
  7. ammo

ammo

so to oversimplify,would it be fair to say that your prime focus is the belief system needs to be altered to arrive at peak performance,in the initial post, the womans obsession with herself was her prime focus,and everything else fell victim to those beliefs

#47     Feb 4, 2011
  8. jjf

jjf

You obviously don't believe that thoughts lead and actions follow.
    So how do you change your actions

#48     Feb 4, 2011
  9. Yes, but gosh, my understanding of belief system is more closely alaigned with the concept of perceptual map. This is where biology and mind meet. For whatever reasons (actually the woman in the vignette is now a client of mine), the trader's brain had hard wired certain assumptions about risk and uncertainty from the environment that steered the the development of the way she perceived reality. Assumptions came to have the force of beliefs that created a perceptual map. She would have been oblivious to this as a fish is to the water he lives in. He becomes blind to it. (But just take the fish out of water and it becomes acutely aware of the lack of water. ) It is pushed into background of awareness. In trading, it, the circumstance, was forced into her awareness. This is when she can begin to work on those beliefs -- when she can actually observe them.

Rande Howell

#49     Feb 4, 2011
  10. Redneck

Redneck

Actions can be instinctive – no though required… or actions can be premeditated – thought out first

Simply because I think it – does not mean I act upon it

How do I change my actions – I simply decide to change my actions – then (and this is the most important part) I do it….

RN

#50     Feb 4, 2011