The Invisible Hand That Limits Your Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rande Howell, Feb 3, 2011.

1. I think the gun ranges are few and far between in civilization. We may have to come up by me where I have a membership. You have concealed carry or will you be "Castle"-ing it? Regardless, if there's anything you want to shoot, I have an arsenal. Against my better judgement, I just reopened private messaging. I am trusting this time thast no lonely women looking for love will importune me. I have no resistance.

You ever hang out here:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/index.php

I do my best to entertain there, too.

(My apologies to the Opie. The assholes here do this to my best threads, too. I'm just spreading the joy.)

#21     Feb 3, 2011
  2. Roark

Roark

Rednecks often express this as "you can't teach an old dog new tricks." The reason is because biological organisms are conservative in nature, i.e., they do not expend energy without a definite purpose. The default state is thus sedentary for adults, which is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to maintain a rigorous exercise program.

That's just an alternative way of stating that you planned for all scenarios in advance. If you get rattled during a fast-moving market, i.e., flash crash or whatever, you have your trading plan to rely on. Basically notes that you wrote when you were in the smart state for yourself to follow while in a panic or stupid state.

There is no you that you are all the time. Think of a personal computer booted with MS Windows and thereafter booted with Linux. The hardware appears the same, but the machine behaves very differently.

#22     Feb 3, 2011
  3. ammo

ammo

could be distracted

#23     Feb 4, 2011
  4. Roark

Roark

A couple of final questions, if the key to success as a trader is a profitable system with psychology having no role, why hasn't anyone bought that Trend Harmony system that is touted on ET and traded their way to financial freedom? Is it because the system is a piece of crap?

Why is the failure rate so high at prop firms? Does Bright Trading fail to teach any of its trainees a profitable system? Are the opening orders and pair trading systems at Bright bullshit?

#24     Feb 4, 2011
  5. Richard Dennis showed long ago that a winning system can be given to a group of traders, and the results will vary very widely. Why? People cannot follow precise instructions. They overthink. When they start to lose, they start to tinker. Ultimately, they bring the house down on themselves.

#25     Feb 4, 2011
  6. Roark

Roark

Then Art Deco is incorrect in his assertion that the only thing necessary for success is a profitable system.

#26     Feb 4, 2011
  7. Redneck

Redneck

That is a cool site, and first I've seen of it..... I'll check it out more this weekend

Don’t have my CHL – simply been too lazy to go…

I also have a bit of an arsenal….

The place I frequent to blow things up….(sporting clays/ rifle / pistol / bow)

http://www.alpinerange.com/range_information.htm

A site you might find interesting…..

http://www.ar15.com/

I can go north, no problem… just not too far north – I’ll get skeeerd much past the Ole Red….

The only gun I have not shot, but would love too, is a Barrett - other than that - I'm up for anything

RN

#27     Feb 4, 2011
  8. Redneck

Redneck

Roark

If you have your head screwed on straight – then it’s all academic

If you don’t - then you have work

AD focuses on the system… I focus on the psychology

Why – probably because he is interested it the system…. I’m interested in the psychology

Being right or wrong is sooooooo overrated

Being profitable - Well that is another story.....

RN

#28     Feb 4, 2011
  9. And that 800 lb gorilla is "you" also. This is where a trader has to develop emotional regulation skills to keep the body and brain from emotionally sweeping your mind away; develop mindfulness skills to distinguish between uncertainty, worry, and fear; and develop the heroic aspects of the self to actually do the trading -- rather than trade from a fear-based state of mind.

Rande Howell

#29     Feb 4, 2011
  10. True. I view trading as life on steroids. It's nearly impossible to continue the avoidance of your psychological demons though. Your trading account always holds you accountable for the beliefs with which you engage the uncertainty of the market.

Rande Howell

#30     Feb 4, 2011