The Invisible Hand That Limits Your Trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Rande Howell, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Redneck

Redneck

OP,

I responded to your first thread on experiencing enough pain via the market – yea okay.... been there done that

This one though, I am going to disagree with…….

There is no invisible hand..., or anything else mysterious

We are 100% responsible for whatever we do.., don’t do…, attain…, or fail to attain…, period...

One merely needs look in the mirror to find one’s root cause for whatever about one's self – is good or bad……

I’ve posted this before – here it is again;

If it is to be – it is up to me…..

RN

#11     Feb 3, 2011
  2. I think this must be love. You and I seem to come down on opposite sides of any issue. Of course I have had those experiences with my own systems. But I didn't need to go whining for help to a coach who doesn't even trade. The pain of failure to follow the system and seeing it outperform my intuitive second-guessing were motivation enough to change. My point is that you can change all you want, but it doesn't mean shit unless you have a system. Horse. Cart. In that order. The system is the impetus for change.

#12     Feb 3, 2011
  3. Red, you are thoooo inthenthitive! Perthonal rethponthibility? How thoooo no today! You need help dethperately for that macho attitude!

#13     Feb 3, 2011
  4. Redneck

Redneck

But I like perthonal respons O bill-tee

RN

#14     Feb 3, 2011
  5. Roark

Roark

You are on record as admitting to being an old fat fuck. Why is that? If you have the discipline to follow a trading system, why is it that you do not have the discipline to follow a regime of diet and exercise? Is it necessary to have a personal trainer that used to be an old fat fuck to help you follow a healthy regime?

Perhaps humans are state machines and the different states think that's the only state there is when that state is in existence. So on December 31, the human is in a determined state and sets ambitious goals. But on New Year's morning, the human is in a tired state and cannot fathom how such goals were ever set. If there was just some way to recreate the determined state for an hour or so each day...

#15     Feb 3, 2011
  6. God, I thought I was cruel. I am not an old fat fuck. I am a fat old fuck. That makes all the difference. And I do exaggerate a bit for effect. I am actually 5'11" and 185 pounds. But I am old. And most decidedly a fuck. Discipline? What is that? IMO no substitute for good genes. Discipline will not help me change what I don't like about myself. Will it grow more hair on my head? Take away the white hair on my balls? Take the age spots off my hands? Enjoy your discipline. It didn't keep me from aging. But I am second to no man when it comes to rigorously trading my systems. My systems are me. Am I smarter than myself? Harrumph!

And regarding that determined state of yours, liberal internal swabbing with alcohol will cure you of that. Remember the number one dictum of NLP? "What can you do with a problem like that?" We are what we are. The sooner we accept that and put it to use, the happier we are. I drink, therefore I am.

#16     Feb 3, 2011
  7. Off topic, I am betting they cancel the TraderSexpo in Dallas for lack of interest. I know I don't have much interest. But Maybe the Opie will hire some booth babes. On another thread I discovered that pissper and I are almost neighbors. He's in Flower Mound, presumably not under one.

#17     Feb 3, 2011
  8. Roark

Roark

There is chronological age and biological age. You cannot change chronological age, but biological age you have some control over as studies have repeatedly shown. A sedentary life style shortens your life.

You are smarter in some states than in others when it comes to trading. Notably, you are smarter when calm and relaxed after the market closes than when in a state of panic or anxiety or fear. Your trading system allows the calm state to persist.

#18     Feb 3, 2011

9. Wait a minute. How old are YOU? Don't you know old codgers don't take advice well?

I'll tell you an old joke. A cub reporter is sent up into the hills to interview the oldest living man in the state. He asks the old man, "What's the secret to your long life?" The old man scratches and rocks and chaws a bit and takes a pull off the keg, and replies "Loooooongevity!"

Just to be disagreeable, I will turn your assertion on its ear. You are calmer and more relaxed when you are smarter. And you know you are smarter because you made a system better than random entry.

#19     Feb 3, 2011
  10. Redneck

Redneck

So much for popping my cherry – I vote we go shooting regardless

RN

#20     Feb 3, 2011