The intelligent man is not greedy or fearful

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by popesidious, Dec 8, 2005.

1. I have to laugh when people talk of magic and miracles. We are spinning thru space on a ball of fire in case you havent noticed.

#41     Dec 10, 2005
  2. ozzy

ozzy

When I get rich, I'm going to build a pole in the office and have strippers come in and dance during lunch and AH's. That will be my form of meditation.

I can't wait. I'm going to have so much fun.

#42     Dec 10, 2005
  3. This is the point, the one which the naysayers can't seem to get. How many times throughout history have we seen science explain phenomenon that were previously either attributed to supernatural forces or dismissed as being impossible or 'nonsense' by the Cartesians. It would be pointless start a list here; I would be typing for weeks. The most obvious example is relativity and later quantum mechanics. Quantum theory tells us that things happen which are so completely counter-intuitive that it's impossible to fit them into a world-view informed exclusively by what we see and feel and hear and sense on the mundane macro level.

I am a hard-core rationalist, but not so misguided as to think that I am capable of knowing a priori everything that will allow me to evaluate every event or phenomenon. A posteriori is much better, don't you think... vhehn?

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/16/1092508376584.html

When I was a young man, and a high priest in the Church of Reason, I had a girlfriend who used to tell me that certain people just 'made her uncomfortable' and that something inside her told her that they weren't telling the truth. This is the type of thing that the normal red-blooded male scoffs at, calling it 'female nonsense'.

But what is female intuition? If we admit that the brain is capable of broadcasting interceptable signals into the physical world, signals which are organized and have specific meaning (see link), then who is to say that, by another mechanism not yet understood, she wasn't a particularly adept receiver of these signals, that her 'intuitive' evaluations weren't correct, and that she wasn't in fact capable of recognizing the physical signature of lying?

Since males and females are essentially different organisms, who is to say that the females don't have some brain structure which allows them to do this, with varying accuracy across organisms?

#43     Dec 10, 2005
  4. one can get rid of fear by facing it. one must be willing to take the pain of facing it, because one's perception of failure will be experienced and fortitude will be tested.. but afterwards, one realizes the fear was overrated.

basically, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

#44     Dec 10, 2005
  5. I do not think females have any lesser/greater intuitive prowess. The hormonal structures of the brain are what speak towards the different behavioral patterns, but, subconsciously, the male and female brain interprets information the same way.

We are talking about subconscious perception/observation here, are we not? I believe anyone here is capable of it - it is a matter of refining your skills of perception and observation. Those two skills are not one in the same, one is subjective and the other is objective. The skillful use of both in reading people (or reading markets) is what allows intuition to develop. People display classical patterns when they attempt to deceive (the less skilled ones anyway). Most people send very clear signals about their intentions if you know how to listen to them. Markets do as well. It sounds cliche, but observational ability is in-directly proportional to personal bias.

In any case, I believe the meditative process is a means by which to actively perceive your environment with minimal distraction. This is a valuable skill because it allows a clear information flow that does not get altered by what we decide to impose on it, be it past failures/successes/experiences.

Mike

#45     Dec 10, 2005
  6. Actually Mike, no - not in terms of the article I posted. Instead of characterizing this as a matter of subconscious perception/observation, the article suggests that it can be characterized more like a radio transmitter and a receiver, nothing to do with refinement of observational skills at all.

A weird thought, right? And just as weird as the realization that a respected journal like Science has published the work which shows that telekinesis is a reality. If you had told me 20 years ago that telekinesis would be proved scientifically, I would have laughed in your face.

Sure, it's clear that we can refine our ability to interpret sensory input and make good guesses about things like whether someone is lying or not, but that's not what is being posited here. That is, however, how the naysayers (I was one of them, once) would explain the concept of female intuition, or any intuition.

Before anyone has a chance to post - no, I don't think that this effect is 100% of intuition. I don't know what % it is.

My example isn't a good one because I don't think there's anything that suggests that telekinesis or any other related phenomenon is gender specific.

#46     Dec 10, 2005

7. An hour, I can't remembr that far back.........

Look out here they come....lol

#47     Dec 10, 2005
  8. TraderNik,

I was picking up on your point regarding female intuition rather than the brain wave/electrical impulse study that the article you attached refers to.

I just do not believe intuition is gender specific. I know I've got it (intuition) and unless I'm a hermaphrodite (which I'm not) then I have a "female intuition". :)

The article you presented brings up some interesting ideas - ideas that have a lot of merit. For one, the body, much like a computer board, uses electrical signals (impulses) to communicate with all the various pieces. This is a "hard-wired" communication protocol much like your telephone line. Neural networks (i.e. you central nervous system) are generally though of as being hard wired, however, all electrical transmission lines emit electromagnetic radiation. Anytime a signal passes through a conductive medium, EM energy is emitted. Maybe this explains why some people give off a negative "vibe".

Anyway, I like the idea of wireless communication between individuals and maybe in 100 years our central nervous system may evolve to such a state. For now, I am still going to call it a "probable" fantasy.

Mike

#48     Dec 10, 2005
  9. wow, telekinesis is a reality. thats news to me. do you have any proof? a link to that scientific journal will do.
    i would be shaking in my boots if i had a standing offer out there of a million dollars for anyone who can show any paranormal ability. the problem always it that all kinds of people have all kinds of beliefs but they can never be tested or proven and they never happen within camera range. why do you think that is? faith is not evidence.

http://www.randi.org/research/

"At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event."

#49     Dec 10, 2005
  10. Who knows - have you ever had a chromosomal analysis done? I have heard that some hermaphrodites don't actually have the visible equipment of both male and female, but are chromosomally just as hermaphrodite.

lol... just kidding. Agree with you that it's not a gender specific phenomenon.

That sounds reasonable; however, it sounds like a 'passive' model. What happens if that electromagnetic energy can be selectively broadcast? Unlikely? Just as unlikely that my identical twin can get in a plane, travel for a few years, then come home younger than me.

Fair enough Mike. I find it at least possible that no further evolution is needed and that we are currently experiencing 'these effects' (I know that sounds nebulous but I don't know any better). The fact is the result of that study, which might be a shock for anyone who was ever an initiate in the Church of Reason.

#50     Dec 10, 2005