The intelligent man is not greedy or fearful

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by popesidious, Dec 8, 2005.

1. I once heard a story, (they saw it , in person, etc) of someone travelling in india.
    They came across a beggar -saddhu type guy, who after being given a rupiah or two, pushed a knitting needle clean through his arm, no bleeding, nothing, no wound at all.
    This isnt going anywhere, i just thought it was interesting.

:)

#31     Dec 9, 2005
  2. Many of the best lessons about the markets can be found on other areas like physics, chemistry or sports. I have found many similarities between Golf and Trading.

I have the impression that no matter how many hours you spend in your swing, you also have to work in your mental strenght.

I recommend you to read a book named "Be the Ball, A Golf Instruction Book for the Mind", a book which is full of good Golf advice that apply nicely on the markets.

Some of my favorite quotes are:

"Sometimes we get so afraidof hitting bad shots, we don't let ourselves hit good ones." Butch Harmon

"The biggest strenght of Tiger Woods you can't see it. It's his mind." Butch Harmon

"You've got to have the guts not to be afraid to screw up. The guys wwho win are the ones who are not afraid to mess up. And that comes right from the heart". Fuzzy Zoeller

"It's just the way golf is sometimes. You can go out and play beautifully, and a couple of shots later you can't find it." Tiger Woods

"Golf is an individual sport. You're the judge, the jury, and you're the one going to prison. You are the one who has to make all the decisions". Lee Trevino

#32     Dec 9, 2005
  3. you are the one who made up the story about some monks doing supernatural things. all i asked for was proof. without proof i will have to assume you made it up.

#33     Dec 10, 2005
  4. define proof!
    oh never mind you are on my ignore list...

#34     Dec 10, 2005
  5. Excuse me Vhehn:

I suggest that there is a force. A "magical" force that exists in the universe, that can cause things to move, and do all kinds of wonderous (and even supernatural) things. We all have this force at our command if we choose to use it. I suggest to you that it exists all around us but we cannot see it directly. Do you believe me, or do you need "proof"?

If you require proof, I can oblige you. In fact I would be glad to prove this to you using only a common paperclip, and to make certain that I am not "cheating" or deceiving you, I would be glad to instruct you as to how to go about proving it to yourself. No problem.

My point of course is that we know things by their effects just as surely as we know things by direct observation, but if you disagree, please let me know. I would be glad to help enlighten you.

Steve

#35     Dec 10, 2005
  6. Don't you hate that 1 hour limit on deleting your posts?

This might be the howler of the year, in a year that saw some huge ones from scalpzy and coolio.

#36     Dec 10, 2005
  7. mogul

mogul

meditation is less about supernatural forces and more about purification of the mind

zen buddhism for example is primarily based on meditation as the vehicle for purification of the mind (other forms of buddhism focus more on studies of scriptures or affinity to devine beings)

the benefits of meditation are hard to refute, scientific proof exists of how it affects the mind and body

therevada buddhism also focuses primarily on meditation to rid the mind of confusion

whether this helps in trading or not is another question, mediation takes time to practice and receive benfits from

#37     Dec 10, 2005
  8. I never emphasized the supermundane
    I just read a lot and I even had friends who travelled to Tibet and India and told me stories. As I said Howard Stern's story and live long battle with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is enough of a "miracle' to me to take meditation and Buddhism seriously.
    It is funny how people demand proofs and never realize that the whole idea is to open their own minds and seek the truth.
    Trading is 90 percent mental and most traders have some daemons of they own (wether they admit it to themselves or not). This is how trader psychology has so many books and gurus. The problem is changing once we get into a bad groove is harder than anything I know.

#38     Dec 10, 2005
  9. sure go ahead "enlighten" me. i am willing to look at any evidence. funny how many talk about magic and the supernatural but it always happens out of range of tv cameras.
    if by chance you can prove that there is a "magical" force out there you can be rich:

http://www.randi.org/research/

1 million dollar prize for anyone who can prove anything supernatural ever happened.
    "At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event."

#39     Dec 10, 2005
  10. there are some good reasons to meditate and i agree with some of the ideas taught by Roy Masters { http://www.fhu.com/ }.

the meditations we should be doing are for a better personal connection to our creator and savior {for me JC} to block out the noise and distractions of the dysfunctional world around us to "Be Still and Know"! :)

#40     Dec 10, 2005