The infamous "Blackbox" Theory

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by aphexcoil, Sep 4, 2002.

1. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

I suggest to continue in another thread.
    either the scalping ES thread or threads in the new strategy trading forum.
    this is only to avoid the bad rep the 'black box' name has.

#21     Sep 5, 2002
  2. Yannis

Yannis

So, Aphie, is this thread closed? Or moved to the Strategy forum? We need decisive action, now! :)

#22     Sep 5, 2002
  3. Ten Spot

Ten Spot

Last Question, Does anyone know of a firm that will hook you up with a DA platform and a "Black Box" system that goes with it?
    A "Black Box" with credentials.

#23     Sep 5, 2002
  4. jeffm

jeffm

I have to disagree here. If you have a system developed for TradeStation, you have a multitude of ways to execute the system.

Open an account directly with TradeStation (not recommended) and you can autotrade with their TS6 (again not recommended). Stocks only.

For both futures and stox you can use software written by 3rd parties to execute your TS signals via Interactive Brokers. If you have an active system, this might be a viable option for the cheap commission.

For futures only, you can use eFloorTrade. They developed an interface between TS and PATS that works very nicely. Commish is higher at $10/rt. But they actually answer the phone if you call them, unlike IB.

And if you want to let go of the reins entirely, there are a multitude of system brokers that will trade your system for you. They wont do well with active/scalping systems, but for swing trades that is an option. Its not a true "automated" trading system, but it does take you out of the execution picture.

With any of the choices above, you could plug in your black box and walk away while it does its thing.

What you have in your account when you walk back is entirely dependent on the quality of the black box. Most likely, you wont like the results:eek: The big challenge in this game is developing a system that really works. Turning those signals into real trades is the easy part.

#24     Sep 5, 2002
  5. Ninja

Ninja

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ats-forum/

:cool:

#25     Sep 5, 2002
  6. Ninja

Ninja

Why do you disagree? Basically you same the same as I do that there is no finished ATS out there to buy. Of course you can use any software you like at a basis but then you have to develop the rest by yourself.

#26     Sep 5, 2002
  7. jeffm

jeffm

I dont think we disagree actually. The thread is getting confusing about what everyone means when they say "ATS" or "Black Box".

When you said, "You cannot buy an ATS", you meant an all-in-one, turnkey kind of system. You are correct about that, afaik.

"ATS" as just the signal execution part of the equation, imo.
    "Black Box" is the system/logic part of the equation.

#27     Sep 5, 2002
  8. Ninja

Ninja

Thats basically true.

The point is that an ATS allows you to trade in a way that you can't do without an ATS because it eliminates the human in front of the computer - thats the next step in evolution coming from a mechanical system which needs a human to enter the trades in a computer. You will never be as fast with your senses, logic, reaction, etc. as the computer. And the ATS is always disciplined, waiting hours, days, weeks with full attention until a special market situation occurs and than it makes the trade without hesitation. :cool:

#28     Sep 5, 2002
  9. Ninja

Ninja

Okay, now I understand. I always see ATS as the whole system - (hardware), software, programmed rules, signal execution, connection to the exchange or retail broker, etc.

:)

#29     Sep 5, 2002
  10. It doesn't matter what you call it; only if you have one ...

#30     Sep 5, 2002