The incredible sadness of austerity

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nitro, Dec 30, 2011.

1. CORRECTAMUNDO!

#31     Dec 30, 2011
  2. Most people have barely given it a thought... yet it has been like a dagger through the heart of the American middle class and our culture in general.

#32     Dec 30, 2011
  3. jem

jem

right now, I have a issue.

work on trading systems.
    work on my websites for my business.
    Play golf with my kids.

Tomorrow I have to decide - drive to mountains to stay at friends cabin with my family and go skiing or do more work.

Those kinds of decisions wear on you productivity after a while.
    Its very stressful.

#33     Dec 30, 2011
  4. Stok

Stok

+1

It is how the liberal democrats have gained their power....buying votes. When all societies collapse, the finger will point to democratic policies and class warfare...all in the name of their own power and greed.

How does someone like Harry Reid, who when he got into office had a low 6 figure net worth, and now has a 8 figure net worth on a $180k annual salary. Scam, scum, unions, insider trading....scum scum scum! In order to get their power, they need big entilements (buying votes), guberment handouts (buying votes) and class warfare (enraging the masses) to sell the "hope and change" theme the democrats have done since the beginning of time. The dems want their voters to stay down, so they can rinse and repeat the same shit over and over to get the votes.

#34     Dec 30, 2011
  5. d08

d08

Statistics should only be taken seriously when the methodology is same. What some countries consider suicide, others do not. I wouldn't trust any numbers from the Haitian statistics department, even if it really does exist.

#35     Dec 30, 2011
  6. d08

d08

When the US is profiting by using the brains of 3rd world countries, causing problems for those countries; when people in 1st world countries become accustomed to buying thousands of dollars worth of Christmas presents which are made in Chindia and complaining when they can't, while being unemployed - can't really feel sorry for those people.
    I love it how the 1st world is screaming "Hey, this globalization has started to work against us, we should only promote it when it's working for us!". You can't have it both ways.

#36     Dec 30, 2011
  7. And how is this even remotely relevant to this thread ?

#37     Dec 30, 2011
  8. MKTrader

MKTrader

So every Fed paper is the gospel? In 2004 two of their economists wrote an paper called "Are Home Prices the Next Bubble?" They ruled out lower interest rates as the cause of a potential bubble and of course they looked like idiots a few years later.

You certainly can cherry pick data and reach whatever conclusions you want to reach. Did you miss ClimateGate Parts 1 and 2? Quoting an abstract you don't understand doesn't prove your point. There are many consquences of CRA you can conveniently ignore and avoid with such studies. If their "study" reached the opposite conclusion, you think they'd publish it? If so, you know nothing about how they or the academic world work.

And where did I condone fraud? Do you just enjoy throwing out baseless charges since that appears to be all you have?

#38     Dec 30, 2011
  9. In addition add Irish whiskey to the mix and there it is........seasonal affective disorder. Really there is no difference between the US meth-addict and the raging Irish drunk. One dies suddenly, the other perishes after their teeth begin to fall out.

#39     Dec 30, 2011
  10. +1 and very very sad indeed.

But guess what; the people responsible for the whole thing got away without a scratch and are in helm again. And more sad"er"; where is the motivation for them to do anything different the next time around. Guess how long before we see this sad movie again?

-gariki

#40     Dec 30, 2011