The Impact of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Body Mass Index and Obesity

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nutmeg, Jan 9, 2010.

1. MKTrader

MKTrader

Be careful about stereotyping, too. I here America's fat and honorable Surgeon General, Regina Benjamin, goes to SWM whenever jalepeno poppers or bacon go on sale.

Don't assume everyone you see there lives in a trailer park, cramped apartment or housing project.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=8129947&page=1

#31     Jan 11, 2010
  2. stay clear of any meat bought from wal mart meat dept. it is pumped full of sodium phosphate as well as sodium lactate.
    just what everyone needs when they sit down to enjoy a steak
    dinner--the equivlant of a days allowance of salt in one meal!
    Also, I understand that none of Wal Marts meat is freshly cut on the premises, it is actually pre cut in some far away factory and shipped in to each store. This explains why they pump it full of sodium. I have renewed appreciation for my neighborhood butcher after having learned this.

#32     Jan 11, 2010
  3. I am with Clancy and those thinking along those lines. To blame Wal-mart for people’s inability to make choices in their best interest is as bad as the people who sued McDonalds for making them fat. Wal-mart’s job as a company is to provide what their customers want. Period. It is the customer’s job to make the choices of what they buy. This is the typical victim attitude pervasive is the US today. It will contribute and is contributing to our country’s long-term future in a negative way. But until people are shown they themselves are to blame and we change this attitude, things will only get worse as they have every generation (I am sorry to say).

This is just another reason and example of why so many people are not cut out to be traders. A complete lack of personal responsibility for the choices he or she makes. It seems to be the national punch line. As the saying goes, common sense is not very common.

To be sure, Wal-mart has a lot of low-income customers. But there are plenty of people who can afford to go anywhere to by staples and go to Wal-mart because it makes financial sense. Plus it is has the side benefit of seeing the real state of the economy and the many “interesting” people out there. Capitalism is why we all are happy to live in the good ole US of A. Its effects are obvious all around you (both positives and negatives) to anyone who will take their time to open their own eyes. And you just might learn something, a novel concept these days.

Good trading

BM

#33     Jan 11, 2010
  4. Hey...i found a skinny, relatively normal looking person on that people of walmart page. I cant quite figure out why they put her on there though....

[​IMG]

#34     Jan 11, 2010
  5. One of the best laughs I had recently was at my local COSTCO in San Diego, where jumbo size shopping carts are the norm. I was browsing the book stall while my wife shopped and saw an obese couple pull up their cart which was loaded to the max with goodies and industrial size shrink-wrapped packages of fresh meat cuts. What books were they looking at??? The diet books of course!
    How we love to delude ourselves.

#35     Jan 11, 2010