The Impact of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Body Mass Index and Obesity

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nutmeg, Jan 9, 2010.

1. I've been shopping at Costco for about 10 years, and I don't see a plethora of "fat asses".

Most people and everyone with a family should be shopping Costco, Sams, or the like.

#21     Jan 11, 2010
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

Generally true, but you could eat even cheaper (and much healthier) with low-cost vegetables (dried beans, fresh carrots, etc.) Of course, if your kids are raised on fast food and chips, they probably won't be thrilled about bean soup for dinner, but nonetheless it's true.

#22     Jan 11, 2010
  3. People have a taste for starchy, salty, sweet things. Parents have an obligation to their kids to not let them go hog wild on such "foods".

#23     Jan 11, 2010
  4. Obesity is out of control in Georgia. A walk through a Walmart or Sams here looks like a cattle call.

#24     Jan 11, 2010
  5. I think they know that, I hear them talk the talk, but they don't have the energy nor the discipline themselves to follow through.

#25     Jan 11, 2010
  6. Isn't that what parenting is all about? Making the kids do what's right or good for them in spite of their protests? I understand many don't, of course.

#26     Jan 11, 2010
  7. It is all about the demographic. Look at the lower level of education of those you reference. Higher percentage of smokers as well. Divorce rate is higher. WMT picks their locations based on demographic (eg. lower income, lower education, etc). Doesn't have anything to do with cost of food. It is about choices and lifestyle.

#27     Jan 11, 2010
  8. Not true where I live. WMT Superstore in a big shopping complex, few blocks away from a golf course.

I don't shop there... actually get a negative vibe from the place. I bypass WMT and shop at Costco about 10 miles further away.

#28     Jan 11, 2010
  9. So if 95% of traders fail......then 95% of parents fail too?
    Just a thought.

#29     Jan 11, 2010
  10. Bolts

Bolts

There is a really amazing negative vibe to it. Hard to describe... almost like walking into Jonestown while they're drinking the KoolAid. "All these people are demented and doomed. And I'm weirdly tempted to join them."

#30     Jan 11, 2010