The Impact of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Body Mass Index and Obesity

Discussion in 'Economics' started by nutmeg, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Abstract:
    Research attributes much of the rise in obesity to technological progress reducing the cost of food consumption. We examine this hypothesis in the context of Walmart Supercenters, whose advancements in retail logistics have translated to substantial reductions in food prices. Using data from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System matched with Walmart Supercenter entry dates and locations, we examine the effects of Supercenters on body mass index (BMI) and obesity. We account for the endogeneity of Walmart Supercenter locations with an instrumental variables approach that exploits the unique geographical pattern of Supercenter expansion around Walmart’s headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas. An additional Supercenter per 100,000 residents increases average BMI by 0.25 units and the obesity rate by 2.4 percentage points. These results imply that the proliferation of Walmart Supercenters explains 11% of the rise in obesity since the late 1980s, but the resulting increase in medical expenditures offsets only a small portion of consumers’ savings from shopping at Supercenters.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1263316

2. You just may be on to something here. I recently traveled to New Orleans and the deep south over the Holiday period. Wal Mart Supercenters everywhere. The high number of morbidly obese people I observed there was striking, versas San Diego-where I live. BTW, San Diego has no Supercenters that I know of.
    Not suprisingly, each grocery store I shopped had a veritable fleet
    of motorizied carts to accomodate the large number of fat asses that had to be taxied arround. My local store has only 2.

3. clacy

clacy

Causality issue here......

Poor people are fat (in US)

Poor people shop at WalMart

Walmart goes where there are lots of poor/fat people because that is their target market.

Walmart is not causing people to get fat. But it is likely making it easier for fat people to keep getting fatter.

4. MKTrader

MKTrader

It all washes out. Our taxes pay for illegal immigration and the myriad problems you have in CA. You help subsidize our "poor" people's eating habits and pay their obesity-related healtcare costs.

All kidding aside, I found it ironic when Obama promised New Orleans residents that his health care was just the start. The start of exactly what, he didn't make clear, but I'm sure it had something to do with handouts. The place erupted in "Yes we can!" Yes we can...eat more WM deli food and McDonald's and let someone else pay the doctor tab when the cholesterol, heart problems, diabetes, bad backs, etc. kick in. What a country

5. Illum

Illum

Walmart has had a great impact on me. After going recently and seeing the local population, I no longer care what happens to this country or its people. Just like that, lost all of my patriotism. Like a beautiful girl ripped a really smelly fart and every time I see her, it's all I can think about. One world government, elites in charge, eugenics, you name it, I'm all for it. Anything but these "creatures" from walmart having any influence. They are not even in the same species.

6. The study should have been:

The Impact of Wal-Mart Supercenters on Republican voting trends.

7. Walmart is a cheap piece of shit company. That role belonged to Kmart years ago. Now, the welfare fatsos & their ilk all shop there.

Cheap junk, ugly stores, dirty, overweight shoppers.

I usually go to Target. Less of the above. Prices are almost the same.

8. I can't believe these people exist :eek: Creepy.

Loving everyone is a hard thing, especially when humanity is retarded.

9. Bolts

Bolts

The real fat ones really should just be rounded up and put into concentration camps where they can be forcibly starved down to a socially acceptable size. What good are civil rights if you have no self control? Lay off the twinkies, Bubba.

#10     Jan 10, 2010