The Hypocrites: A Running Log

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hermit, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Earth to hermit!

#11     Mar 4, 2010
  2. Hello

Hello

Of course you are, commy leeches like you are always waiting to get paid for someone elses hard work.

#12     Mar 4, 2010
  3. Maybe that's why China is doing so well :confused:

#13     Mar 4, 2010
  4. Ricter

Ricter

#14     Mar 4, 2010
  5. #15     Mar 4, 2010
  6. #16     Mar 4, 2010
  7. I have and you're in la la land.

The Reconciliation Game
    Posted by Erick Erickson
    Thursday, March 4th at 10:27AM EST

For all the talk about the Republicans having used reconciliation more than the Democrats, it is important to remember a few things:
    • Each time reconciliation was used, it was used to fix legislation already enacted into law.
    • What the Democrats want to do is use reconciliation to fix legislation before it is enacted into law.
    And guess what? The Senate Parliamentarian is telling everybody that won’t work. According to the Parliamentarian, reconciliation can only apply to fix legislation already signed into law by the President.

In other words, Blue Dogs in the House are going to have to actually pass the Senate legislation, have Barack Obama sign it into law, then hope the Democrats still want to fix the legislation and that the fix is deemed only a deficit neutral financial fix for purposes of reconciliation.

There are a lot of ifs in that scenario.

#17     Mar 4, 2010
  8. Conrad: Reconciliation won’t work for ObamaCare
    FEBRUARY 28, 2010 BY ED MORRISSEY

No wonder the Times was so pessimistic about reconciliation. Senator Kent Conrad (D-ND), who runs the committee that would have to run a reconciliation push, says that the budgetary process can’t be used for ObamaCare. It would only address the actual budgetary issues, which leaves a lot off the table. The Budget Committee chair told CBS’ Face the Nation audience that reconciliation wasn’t designed for this purpose, nor is it appropriate for such sweeping legislation:

That’s a long clip, which replays the entire FTN segment on health care. Steny Hoyer insisted that ObamaCare would proceed in Congress, but not if the Senate Budget Committee refuses to play along with the reconciliation strategy. The House will not pass the Senate version of ObamaCare as the last word on the subject, not with the unions getting a big tax on their benefit plans. Even Hoyer seems to understand that much:

That almost sounds like the Democrats may have a do-over in the House. If so, then the process starts over from scratch. If the House passes a different bill than the one the Senate has on the table, then either Democrats have to have a conference committee — whose report can get filibustered in the Senate — or the Senate has to pass the new House version. Either way, that adds weeks to the process, and probably months … putting the debate squarely in the middle of the midterm general elections. It’s a disaster for Democrats, the worst of all possible worlds.

#18     Mar 4, 2010
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

I haven't researched it myself but a friend of mine seems to think the reconciliation process was intended for budget issues. Not entitlement programs that can't pass a normal vote.

#19     Mar 4, 2010
  10. I think you're on to something...

However, hermit says:

So in hermit's world, the bill is already passed as law and the reconciliation is just to fix some minor things on some various compromises.

Agh...the mind of a liberal...

#20     Mar 4, 2010