The hurricane heading towards nyc/nj

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by newguy05, Aug 25, 2011.

1. spd

spd

Im on a bunch of different adjusting firm's rosters. Havent decided who Im going to deploy with yet, my phone is ringing off the hook though. Im looking to work commercial claims, I'll go with whoever can keep me busy the longest in that regard. Im figuring 6 months at least on Irene. I still have 75 hail claims I need to inspect in the midwest before I can even hit the road :-/

#11     Aug 26, 2011
    #12     Aug 26, 2011
  3. If it slams into NYC, Et all as a Hurricane 3, there will be massive destruction from the wind hitting the buildings and mainly from the storm surge.

NYC is below SEA LEVEL on it's foundation. I grew up there, we use to run down hundreds of feet of stairs to old subway tunnels, and throw RAVES.. We were far below the Main Subway tracks.

This area could swallow up a Surge, flooding would flow through out the basement levels of all of Manhattan.

So, yes, this storm could cause scenes like New Orleans if NYC takes a Direct hit at level 3.

If it is down graded as a Tropical Storm, no worries.

#13     Aug 26, 2011
  4. yikes. be safe everyone.

#14     Aug 26, 2011
  5. I saw on Discovery, they did a simulation program on if London got flooded. One thing they mentioned -- there could be holes in the street or open manholes that fall into underground tunnels like the subway. So even if the water is only knee-deep, people walking through the water could fall into the hole. Or, moving water looks harmless, but could be a strong enough current to drag people into the hole or into another opening, like the stairs to the subway.
    Be careful, everyone be safe.

#15     Aug 26, 2011
  6. .

#16     Aug 26, 2011
  7. Just got back from the grocery store, you never can be too careful. All set on this end!

[​IMG]

#17     Aug 26, 2011
  8. the only thing i am worried about is my fish tank, if the power goes out, it wont last for more than 12 hrs...

#18     Aug 26, 2011
  9. GordonTheGekko

GordonTheGekko Guest

Will the VIX rise because of the storm? No?

#19     Aug 26, 2011
  10. I've mostly worked Bigblue dont know if I'll go out this storm or not. I switch from chasing storms as a contractor and adjuster depending on how motivated I am.

#20     Aug 26, 2011