The Heuristic Value of Studying SCT

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by hypostomus, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Goyim, "I am legion" as it sayeth in the Gospels. Sixteen total. And that's the ones I know about. Life IS an hallucination. Nothing episodic about it. So too is much of SCT.

#11     Aug 11, 2007
  2. PointOne, I meant qualitative, because SCT largely IS qualitative.

#12     Aug 11, 2007
  3. I've already proven to you in my real time trade posts that parts of the Hershey system is far superior to your "Red, yellow, Green" system.

I suspect you find in Jack Hershey an intellect equal to your own, which is why you amuse yourself with him so.

Too bad for you he is gone. Good luck finding another worthwhile opponent to inflict your mental gymnastics on.

#13     Aug 11, 2007
  4. Tums

Tums

that's nothing compared to what T28 has.

#14     Aug 12, 2007
  5. hypostomus

You are the coolest brightest son of a gun on ET. I would be proud to call you a friend in the real world.

long ago I reversed engineered one of your indicators, PM me if you want me to tell you what happened.

you may have studied Jack, but some here studied your work, at least on a hobby level.

you are a creative genius, Just like me. :D

#15     Aug 12, 2007
  6. I resemble that remark

The truth is they are not personalities but previous incarnations

While Jack may speak in occult terms I have studied esoteric science within the confines of the western mystery tradition through one of it's schools and therefore know the universe to be an expression of the absolute's own burgeoning awareness, even though time be a construct of our brains and therefore in essence an illusion, but from our perspective it holds true.. the function of incarnation (and it's mechanism, karma) being the evolution of individualized self conscious awareness as opposed to the undifferentiated awareness of oneness that prime matter (pure living mind, ie: god) surely is and nought else
    Therefore the great labour is to take that self awareness back to eternity that we might be aware of it's divinity and joy.. for what is the point of perfection be it ever so sublime if we remain unconscious

All is one... there is nothing but mind.. and we are the stream of consciousness within that mind.. the move from god's subconscious to self awareness is the path and great work of the adept

There is only password to be uttered at the door of the mysteries by the neophyte.. "I desire to know in order to serve"

Here endeth the wisdom of T28

#16     Aug 12, 2007
  7. I never got to say my piece. Guess I don't get no respect around here because I work the graveyard shift. I love to watch THEM make money out of thin air on virtually no volume overnight. Traders ended the day net short? No problem! Cost me maybe 500 cars to make them puke their position back at the open! So I do my part to help. But god is it dull. Watching the market honor that sloooooooow EMA all night.

Anyway, here's what I learned studying SCT. Other than that I am a sucker and gullible. One of my brethren, I forget who, they're mostly assholes, got enamored with "seamless." I got hooked on "continuous." Funny how words stick in your head. By continuous Jack means "always in." Didn't take me long to figure out how stupid that is, but that's a story for someone else to tell. "Continuous" got morphed in my head to "continuity", and Eureka! I discovered continuity of S/R. And developed a very profitable Copernican theory of S/R retrace, you know, the epicyclic thing? Still think they should have burned Copernicus at the stake.

The lesson? When you go down a rabbit hole following Jack, don't be disappointed if you find rat turds. No rabbits down here? Follow the rat!

#17     Aug 12, 2007
  8. Sorry to be late to the party. I have been out standing in a field in a deep trance for two days, you know, the trance thing (been thinking of going to Spain, so I can have catatonia in Catalonia). Actually it is quite refreshing to escape the cacophony in our heads once in a while. My advice to you? Mind your P's and Q's in this life or YOU may wind up being reincarnated involuntarily in some jerkoff's head.

Being as I am a famed seeker after truth, you can well imagine that I learned a few things from failing to learn SCT. What I value the most is my new insight into volume (no, not that "guasian" crap). OK, we all did our best. Watched the five minute volume, observed the correlation between price turns and volume peaks, and made our trades. Got our clocks cleaned for it, like as not, too.

So fingers burnt and egos wounded, we dug deeper. Turns out the price and volume patterns from FTTs and failed FTTs (FFTTs, we call 'em phhfffffttttss for obvious reasons) are often the same. UNLESS you look at them in one minute. Then, hoho! It's Christmas! Want to know what the secret is? Fuck you! As Jack says, "Do the work!"

#18     Aug 12, 2007
  9. What have I been missing? I guess I must have been off in LaLaLand for a while. Is it possible for a personality in a multiple to be schizoid? Beats me, although I'm the guy who de-demonized schizophrenia. Imagine my surprise, me who everybody forgot for nearly a hundred years, to find myself alive again, but in a needy maniac's head! I should thank god he's not a girl, or I might have come back as a tampon.

So what did I learn from those idiots trying to learn SCT (I didn't play along, got a real life, I do, seducing and fucking fucked up women, that was frowned upon in my day, it's good to be alive now!)? Why, the subtle correlations between personality and trading systems.

Take the A-Team. Really nice folks, apparently. A little soft, maybe, need a daddy. Definitely need to belong, to share, to go along, to be accepted, to do what everybody else is doing. Don't swear much (mother wouldn't approve). Want a system handed to them on a gold platter and served with a silver spoon. Very respectful of authority, because they need it. A little slow, maybe? Take a whole year to learn a system? One thinks, in bed they just lie there and say "Do me something" (assuming here you've read your Eric Berne).

The B-Team? Hardly a team at all, really a rag-tag collection of obnoxious pricks. Iconoclasts for certain, wouldn't use a gift system if you proved to them it worked. Got to do everything the hard way. Clearly a profane, disrespectful, irreverent bunch. BUT, they develop their own systems, and are extremely suspicious of stasis. Their systems constantly evolve. The biggest difference? They fucking TRADE!

#19     Aug 12, 2007
  10. Lao Tzu

Lao Tzu

I must apologize for this late post. There are several of us in quite separated time zones who were not aware of what was happening with this thread (Is it so odd to think that multiple personalities might reside in different time zones? If so, you don't travel much.)

I note that our posts are becoming less about what we learned about trading and more about what we learned about ourselves. For example, Jack has been quite generous over the years with his gratuitous mind-reading distance-analysis character assessments of us. Many were the nights we held each other and cried ourselves to sleep. But over the years also we have seen ourselves in contradistinction to the general character of the A-Team. Perhaps you too have had the experience of saying to yourself "Why don't I get it?", or "Why can't I believe?"

For example, the distinction between critical and credulous comes to mind. Surely you have had the experience of seeing a new trading idea, coding it up or setting the prescribed indicators on the screen, and sitting for hours running through tests or scrolling backward in time to see how the idea worked. With a few such promising ideas, even complex ones, I have immediately launched into cautious forward testing, perhaps just testing entries with a trigger finger ready to exit. I certainly have never agonized over something a year!

Case in point, I took the late Eddie Toppel's one-day ES course some years ago, coded it up, tested it, optimized it for NQ, and traded it, all in the course of a few days. Now I am no genius, but I can read, even something as ambiguous as what Jack writes, and comprehend the basics quickly. Telling me that I need a year to master it? You are selling me something, even if the price isn't denominatged in dollars.

For another example, I have always made my living, as many of us in Hypo's head have, doing hard analytical work, be it in planning or day-to-day management or in engineering design or in financial analysis. The hard real-world realities of making decisions based on go-no-go criteria are second nature. So it is quite foreign to me to read instructions in a trading system that are qualitative at best and ambiguous at worst. Everything I do professionally or in my recreational trading I model and test and adapt and refine. So I can only assume that my disdain for SCT is a techie thing, that the system is meant for liberal arts majors comfortable with slippery concepts. Hell, it's not even fuzzy logic. That I could handle. It's "sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and eventually you will learn to tell the difference."

Personally I think it is the classic case of expert performance that NLP was invented to model. Jack and Spydertrader are expert traders, and they have invented rationales for what they do, but those rationales very poorly represent their actual unconscious decision processes. Me, I'm stupid. I need explicit hard-and-fast rules. Is she insecure enough that I can seduce and fuck her in one night? If I display the right degree of confidence without arrogance, can I get him to do what I tell him to without having to listen to whining and give endless explanations? If I keep up a line of patter with this nice interested old lady, will she forget to scan my credit card and just bag my CDs? If I fund six man-months of thorough algorithm description documentation, will it save me problems in transition to production next year? What are my odds if I short a tick above the previous high of the day?

Lord save us from the innumerate in all aspects of modern life!

#20     Aug 12, 2007