The "haves" and the have "N.O.T.S." (Novice Options Traders)

Discussion in 'Options' started by ElectricSavant, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Going into trading from a legal background, I only know English plain speak. I never learned to speak Greek properly and usually used a translator when Riskarb or Mav spoke LOL

#21     Apr 10, 2006
  2. Good...

I put Riskarb and Mav up there with Lawrence McMillan...back in 1996 I subscribed to his Fax...yes fax newsletter....but I lost 20k....

Michael B.

#22     Apr 10, 2006
  3. will they let me park my 1990 Plymouth Voyager with simulated wood grain siding next to the Mercedes, or do I need to park out back??

#23     Apr 10, 2006
  4. http://www.optionplanet.com/

there is a waiting list right now (for the Denver class) but sign up and get on it ASAP..Apr 26. The only investment is your time and after the class you will understand what coach is saying. They do have a "basics 101" but its more very basic...if you spend abt 3 hrs reading what the basic strategies are then you will do fine at "beyond the basics" very well organized...and delivered.

#24     Apr 10, 2006
  5. hey...until this months spx trade...I was driving a 10 yr old Ford explorer with 186K miles and had no problem parking next to the Lexus/etc:D

#25     Apr 10, 2006
  6. Thats the whole problem with newsletters/advisories etc and exactly WHY you need to invest the time to learn to do it on your own.

#26     Apr 10, 2006
  7. whenever i talk in normal human being terms i get ignored...

but then i don't get flamed either...

think of options as an insurance policy...

do you need it or don't you...

however you do need to take an opinion...

whether it be direction or a volatility bet...

ie...do i think goog with move 10% from last nights close due to earnings...if not you can sell the strangle 15% out and feel ok about it...

when in actuality you have made a volatility bet against the prevailing sentiment...

it's so simple if you think about it...follow your instincts and you should be fine...

this from a cboe floor broker and m/m in my prior life...

good luck

#27     Apr 10, 2006
  8. I cannot believe the heavy hitters are coming to this thread...really folks do not waste your time....we have a long way to go....well I have a long way to go...I am hoping for a trade soon, so that we may discuss it..

I must warn you...I can get stuck in things for months...I am the type that needs to tighten ever nut before moving on...

and yes I do lollygag in spreadsheets most of my waking hours, sometimes missing trades. :)

Michael B.

P.S. You would not believe me if I told you how many scalps I have done in the last 12 hours in Retail Spot Forex...I picked up another 0.82 %...Yes I am bragging and it feels goooood :) I only scalp four days a week...and try to last as long as I can before falling asleep at the keyboard! My Profit Factor is 1.69% with a 60% winrate and I have never had a losing stint..This last stint...I had 19 trades with 5 losers and I am getting tired. Options are very interesting to me and as I said they match my aptitude for strategic posturing and are less labor intensive (I earn every single pip in scalping Forex and it really is not my style...even though I am profitable).

#28     Apr 10, 2006
  9. This is an example of the daily morning update from OptionSmart. I DO NOT have that open position on, because it rolled over when I did not have enough money in the account....this is why 30% cash should be left free in the account at rollover time. Another possibility is that Wifey took a long time to replenish the funds after drawing out so much, forcing me to only play the more conservative spreads portion of the advisory without the straight options.

I have not heard from the new advisory Crowder that I signed up with this last Friday...but they are hooked up to AutoTrade at ThinkorSwim and they got paid, cause I got the confirmation emails for that. Perhaps their service only sends emails when there is a trade alert.

Monday, April 10, 2006, 8:42 AM EST

Closing prices:
    QQQQ 42.32 -0.41 -0.96%
    VCQAM QQQQ Jan7 39 Call 6.00 +0.20 Bid 5.60 Ask 5.80 Open Interest 37675
    QQQQ plunged on macroeconomic news.

Intermediate-term outlook (weekly chart): NEUTRAL
    Short-term outlook (daily chart): BULLISH
    Very short-term outlook (60-min chart): BEARISH
    TODAY'S PRE-MARKET SENTIMENT (BASED ON NASDAQ FUTURES): NEUTRAL
    Current (9:40 am ET) QQQQ pre-market price:
    42.40 +0.08 +0.19%

Preceding day market actions:
    None

Current open positions:
    1.Long VCQAM QQQQ Jan7 39 Call (Bought on 1/31/06 at 5.80, Target
    6.20, Stop 2.80)

Alerts:
    None

#29     Apr 10, 2006
  10. My Plymouth has 194k miles and runs Great!!!(The simulated wood grain siding is starting to peel though...)

I love that Van...We are going to buy a bigger house in a few years (we have a studio condo in metro Denver just now) and Wifey says I will need to get a new car for the driveway then....NO WAY!!!I will park down the street if I must. I have the only 1990 with top-of-the-line Goodyear tires that are rotated regularly...

#30     Apr 10, 2006