The Green Portfolio*

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stonedinvestor, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Hi everyone. These " green " plays seem to be so darn interesting I've decided to take the plunge on a stock today that will change the world as we know it forever more. I don't know if they will end up getting all the credit or indeed all of the pie but I think it GROSSLY IGNORANT to overlook this press release today on Briefing....

Metabolix and ADM to produce Mirel, the first biobased and fully biodegradable plastic
    Briefing.com - April 23, 2007 10:30 AM ET
    Symbol Last Chg
    MBLX Trade 20.92 +2.93
    Real time quote.

The co and ADM (ADM) announce that they will jointly produce Mirel Natural Plastics. Mirel is a family of high performance natural plastics that are biobased, sustainable and completely biodegradable. Metabolix and ADM are commercializing Mirel through their joint venture Tellus. This plant is expected to start up in 2008 and will produce Mirel at an annual rate of 110 million pounds.

>> This is life changing stuff we can expect all plastic made from oil to be done with in twenty years this stock in that time may return several thousandfold... or it may retrace tomorrow and make me look like a schmuck but here it is ladies and gentlemen the first member of the GREEN PORTFOLIO>>> MBLX!!!!!!!

Please Consider This:

National Survey Reveals More than 70% of Americans Don't Know Plastic is Made from Oil
    - BusinessWire

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Apr 20, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- According to a nationwide online survey released today, 72 percent of the American public does not know that conventional plastic is made from petroleum products, primarily oil. The survey was conducted by national online market research firm InsightExpress for Telles(TM), a joint venture of Metabolix, Inc. , a company using bioscience to provide clean solutions for plastics, fuels and chemicals, and Archer Daniels Midland , one of the world's largest agricultural processors and the world leader in BioEnergy.

Plastics are everywhere and most Americans have come to rely on plastics in all aspects of their lives. However, very few people realize that plastics are made from oil, further contributing to the problems of energy dependence, greenhouse gas emissions and depleting resources. In fact, nearly 10 percent of U.S. oil consumption - approximately 2 million barrels a day - is used to make plastic.

The survey also revealed a misunderstanding about another important characteristic of traditional plastic - it never goes away. Despite the fact that petroleum-based plastic will never biodegrade, 40 percent of respondents believe that it will biodegrade underground, in home compost, in landfills, or in the ocean. Plastics will not biodegrade in any of these environments. In fact, the only way to rid the planet of existing plastic is by incineration in those cases where it can be recovered.

"Everyone knows about our country's unhealthy reliance on oil and the impact that petroleum use has on climate change," said Jim Barber, President and CEO, Metabolix, which has developed a brand of fully biodegradable Natural Plastics. "Similarly, people see a lot of plastic waste in the form of litter. But the fact that so many people are unaware that plastic is made from oil and that it will persist in the environment for thousands of years, shows the need for education about the impact of plastic on the environment and the various alternatives made from renewable resources."

Americans also have a much more optimistic view of the country's recycling efforts than is supported by the facts. On average, those surveyed believe nearly 40 percent (38.2%) of plastic is recycled, when in fact that figure is less than six percent (5.7%) nationally, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

There is hope, however. When informed that plastic is made from oil and that it never biodegrades, half of Americans indicated they would be willing to pay a premium for natural, biodegradable plastic.

Mr. Barber concluded, "The more Americans understand the environmental impact of using conventional plastics, the more they will look for and demand new solutions for meeting their needs for these essential materials."

Snapshot of Survey Results:

-- 72% of respondents do not know that plastic is made out of oil/petroleum

-- On average, respondents estimated 38% of plastic is recycled (the reality is less than 6%, according to the EPA)

-- Nearly 40% (38.1%) of respondents said plastic will biodegrade underground, in home compost, in landfills, or in the ocean (plastic will not biodegrade in any of these environments).

-- After learning that plastic is made from oil and never biodegrades, half (50.1%) of respondents stated they would be likely or very likely to pay 5-10% more for a natural, biodegradable plastic. Only 24% were unlikely/very unlikely to pay this much more.

-- 62% of respondents rate their own level of environmental knowledge as fair or poor, with only 5.6% rating it as excellent.

About the Survey

The survey was conducted online between the dates of April 5 and April 10, by InsightExpress, a leading national online market research firm. Survey participants were recruited online via InsightExpress' patented sampling methodology. A representative sample of 501 respondents completed the survey, reflecting a +/-4.89% margin of error at a 95% confidence level.

About Telles's Natural Plastics

Telles Natural Plastics are produced from renewable resources such as corn sugar using a fully biological fermentation process, producing a versatile range of biobased natural plastics with excellent durability in use but that also biodegrade benignly in a wide range of environments. Telles is a joint venture or Metabolix and Archer Daniels Midland, which is now building the first commercial scale plant to produce Natural Plastics in Clinton, Iowa. This plant will be starting up in 2008, with a nameplate capacity of 110 million pounds of Natural Plastics per year, which can be used as an alternative to petroleum-based plastics in a wide variety of conversion processes including injection molding, paper coating, sheet, cast film, blown film and thermoforming.

About Telles(TM)

To commercialize Natural Plastics, Metabolix and ADM formed a joint venture, which operates under the name Telles. Telles takes its name from the Roman goddess of the Earth. Telles is responsible for the manufacturing, marketing and sales of Natural Plastics.

About Metabolix

Founded in 1992, Metabolix, Inc. is an innovation driven bioscience company providing clean, sustainable solutions for the world's needs for plastics, fuels, and chemicals. The Company is taking a systems approach, from gene to end product, to integrate sophisticated biotechnology with advanced industrial practice, and is now developing and commercializing environmentally sustainable and totally biodegradable Natural Plastics as a clean alternative to petroleum-based plastics. In addition to its microbial fermentation platform for production of Natural Plastics, Metabolix is also developing a proprietary platform technology for co-producing, in non-food plant crops such as switchgrass, Natural Plastics and biomass for biofuels such as ethanol and for chemical products. For more information, please visit www.metabolix.com. (MBLX-G).

It's 2:20 and the stock is $1 off it's high you would be buying at a better price than I did today. 500 shares. ~ stoney

PS Please insert really interesting " Green " plays as you find them to this portfolio- not your usual ones- transforming tech is what we are looking for here.

2. hels02

hels02

ADM is the better buy IMO (but that's also because I already had it). :D

3. Is someone going to say thank you at some point?

> MBLX Buy / Sell 24.88 2.82 12.78% $1,410.00 500 $21.10 $1,882.01 17.83% $12,440.00

> Yes Hels ADM is much better than a quick 17% in 2 trading days. yes, yes. Far and away better.

4. Herb weighs in!

>
    Herb Greenberg (MarketWatch) submits: When we last discussed the subject of Metabolix (MBLX), Fast Money's Eric Bolling and host Dylan Ratigan tried to ridicule the idea of biodegradable plastic.

The stock has leaped 24% since then, adding 16% alone today in the wake of the company's announcement that along with Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) will jointly produce a branded biodegradable plastic made from corn and other types of crops. An important part of this story, that doesn't get much play, is that Metabolix believes its plastic can be made on conventional molds. This remains (if you ask me -- not that anybody is!) an interesting story that bears watching.....

5. hels02

hels02

Stone, the problem was that it had already moved... chasing momo can get expensive.

But in this case, you were right.

6. I guess ignorance is bliss but when I pick coverage and start plotting a stock I mostly look at the 5 and 10 day period before I bought it and it's all forward from there. The reason this is how you get your ass in the huge winners. I'll tell you about a real gem I'm struggling with right now I'll keep the name hidden ... unless you figure it out...

The number #1 stock in the whole market now is unknown. It's literally transcending their niche in tech: In Feb of THIS YEAR it was $4 traded in a $4-$6 range, in March it based at $7-$8 then the break out when in a perfect world I would of been in on @ $8 which takes it to $10. In April we gap 18% on earnings to $11.42 Here we have our FIRST EVER BREAK in the stock, stk corrects to $9.25 well within uptrend which started at $8 and then LIFT OFF 5 days later here we are @ $13.50. Can't buy a $13.50 stock that was $4 3 months ago can you!

Yes. Check out that big volume stick that's all new buyers after earnings @ $11.50 and up.

For me THAT $11.50 is the new $4 I can't worry about missing the very beginning of a story that looks like it will transcend investing as we know it (and medical records as we know them with speech recognition... hope I haven't given away the company! He, he ) but my buy price is $12.50 I think, although I'm still doing my DD. Peace.

7. Uh Oh CNBC ALERT* MBLX coming on today!!!!!!!

8. METABOLIX INC. (NasdaqGM:MBLX) Delayed quote data
    Pre-Market: 24.75 0.64 (2.65%) as of 8:03am ET on 04/27/07
    Last Trade: 24.11
    Trade Time: Apr 26
    Change: 0.00 (0.00%)
    Prev Close: 24.11
    Open: N/A
    Bid: 24.75 x 100
    Ask: 25.35 x 900

GUYS it looks like an easy $2 here if you buy in the Pre!
    If you don't want this with a $24 handle you'll never want it!

Wait Wait my bad I just went live feed***

Extended Hours: Last 26.00 Change +1.89 (+7.84%) Bid 26.10 x200 Ask 26.48 x200 Extended Hours....... Well you may not want this with a $26 handle I don't know..... ~ SI

9. holy smokes..pun intended. take the victory toke already

10. Wow! Stoney caught a dragon by the tail here > this is why I love stocks! You CAN invest just by doing what's right. Hey we're replacing all the plastic bags in every supermarket in the world! What have YOU done for the environment today? I bought MBLX this week at $21.00 to get the good word out... and today I sold it for a huge gain at $28.90. so that others may carry on this great purpose!

>>(MBLX) Metabolix -- Pamela Bassett of Cantor Fitzgerald recommended the stock on Dec. 21, 2006, at $18, and sees it hitting $40 in 12 months. On Apr. 23, Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), which owns about 6%, announced a joint venture with Metabolix to produce high-performance, all-natural plastics. "It is the only bioplastic that can be biodegraded at sea, soil, or sewer without industrial composting or incineration," says Bassett. The plastic can be used for grocery bags and other types of containers, with high strength and durability, she adds. Laurence Alexander of securities firm Jefferies Group says Metabolix, which will also use other plants to produce plastic and bioenergy feedstocks, is a pure play in "green" plastics. He figures its partnership with Archer Daniels "significantly reduces" the risks.

#10     Apr 27, 2007