The Great Gatsby - release date May 16th

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ash1972, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Chillout Dude!
    This is FRIDAY.
    Why are you so easy to wind up? ( psychology :D )

#11     Apr 26, 2013
  2. I guess that what you are looking at is not just crowd psychology but crowd subconscious psychology.

In that case, you might be correct in your assessment.

#12     Apr 26, 2013
  3. Ash1972

Ash1972

Sorry :)

Just a bit disappointed that we couldn't have a discussion about the roaring 20s and parallels with today.

Maybe next time :)

#13     Apr 26, 2013
  4. Sorry to have tested you. mea culpa.
    I guess as I have to be on my best behaviour with people around here,
    so I take the piss on a forum.

Now, your idea of looking to 1920s is a good one.
    The only issue is , you have to look to all the continents, as today's context is global. For a serious crash to take place, you'd have to also look to a serious crash in other regions than the west.

#14     Apr 26, 2013
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

There are actually some interesting parallels with this outstanding novel, F. Scott Fitzgerald's best work. The 1920's was a roaring decade of opulent wealth. Coincidentally with the market at record highs and the wealth of the top 1% now at stratospheric levels it mimics many of the characters in the novel. And like Gatsby, who made his money bootlegging, one could defer to the easy money the rich are getting from the Fed. Bootlegging, central banking, same difference.

Fitzgerald would die one year before the great Jesse Livermore took his life in NY in 1941. During the 1930's both Livermore and Fitzgerald struggled financially. In fact, both lived up and down lives filled with success and failures alternating back and forth. And like Livermore, Fitzgerald had a problem wife, Zelda who was in and out of mental institutions as was Livermore's wife. Both men were outsiders who came to NY and joined the jetset. The Great Gatsby novel actually resembles a little bit of Livermore's life from the mansion on Long Island, the lavish parties, and the empty relationships. Both Fitzgerald and Livermore peaked in the 1920's and spent the 1930's trying to get it back.

When all 3 men died, Livermore, Fitzgerald and the Gatsby character, hardly no one showed up at all 3 funerals. A striking commentary of all 3 men, both fictional and real, who were attractive, wealthy, popular, flawed, talented and yet almost no recognition at the end of their lives. In the case of Fitzgerald and Livermore, their legacy would evolve only years after their deaths.

It's actually a very timely novel and movie to come out right now. I remember when the movie "Boiler Room" came out in 2000, right after the crash. The movie was made though as the market was making it's final parabolic move to the upside.

Some more interesting trivia for ya, Leo will also be starring in the "Wolf of Wall Street". I've read both books and they are a good read. The books chronicle the true story of Jordan Belfort who ran the biggest penny stock scam in history out of his Long Island office. BTW, "Boiler Room" was loosely based on his story. I believe that film will be out in the fall. So you have a lot of interesting backdrops to these movies and what's going on in the market for sure.

#15     May 3, 2013
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

My 13th birthday?

#16     May 3, 2013
  7. Good post Mav

#17     May 3, 2013
  8. Eight

Eight

#18     May 4, 2013
  9. #19     May 9, 2013
  10. You give them a great deal of social credit.

#20     May 9, 2013