The Geniousness of Paul Tudor Jones

Discussion in 'Trading' started by etfarb, May 19, 2013.

1. etfarb

etfarb

PTJ defiantly had a leg up compared to others when he entered the biz but that dosn;t mean much since trading is sheer talent of an individual. He is hands down one of the best traders to walk this planet period. The reason i started this thread was mainly to talk about his style of trading in todays era of trading. He use to be a floor trader and just recently in one of his press releases his group opened a quant fund that is based on his days on the floor... Its not secret that if you can profitably trade on a short time scale you'll do better than a swing trader, the problem is "if you can"

I'm not sure if any one is familiar with peter warrens fund but once again he is a former floor trader that only takes positions intraday and closes everything by day end...

I'm a big propenent of systematic trading but the main reason i wanted to open this thread was to get some of the discretionary traders to chime in. If anyone has seen the PTJ documentary theres a scene where he's taking a short on the NZD i believe on a saturday. This is in the 80's before all these fancy charting systems were around. What were his reasons for entry on a trade like that on such a short time frame. From what i gather PTJs style of trading goes under the category of orderflow which is really hard in todays trading world. but if anyone is an "orderflow" trader either systematically or discretionarily, i'd love for you to chime in on this thread

#21     May 20, 2013
  2. Josef K

Josef K

I believe you're referring to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWbl9TbAZHg#t=15m40s

It's early Sunday evening and he's selling Deutsche Marks because he's betting the dollar is going up. The dealer he's speaking with is in New Zealand. The time frame for the trade appears to be at least a day and it's not clear if the trade is based on technical or fundamental reasons.

#22     May 20, 2013
  3. etfarb

etfarb

This is exactly what i was referring to. PTJ in a lot of ways reminds me of Victor Niederhoffers trading method only in the 80s (i.e that video and trade )- i'm sure his decision making process is a lot more loose than whatever voodoo VN uses

#23     May 20, 2013
  4. Does anyone have a year by year PTJ performance record? He clearly became a wealthy man from fees --- just how is his overall performance from an investors viewpoint? Thanks in advance. surf

PS--- it's totally silent in VNs trading room, no yelling or screaming. In fact, it's so quiet the traders communicate via instant msg/email rather than speak to each other. Once I heard show tunes playing but otherwise is perfectly quiet with a sign on the door " you are entering holy ground, remove your shoes". Very cool.

surf

#24     May 20, 2013
  5. etfarb

etfarb

Surf...

You use to work for Victor!?

#25     May 20, 2013
  6. track record is everything

no track record

just bullshit

my investing is not too bad

up over 1000% since 1988

trading is a different matter

up maybe 68% in 2012

down so far about 38% in 2013

#26     May 20, 2013
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

They say SAC's floor is the same way. They even muffled the computer fans.

Perhaps its easier to hear the blue horse shoe whispers that way... :D

#27     May 20, 2013
  8. 23% average annual return (recorded in 2009) from inception in 1980.

#28     May 20, 2013

9. How about year by year since 1986 I imagine he has had 100% plus years but what drawdowns? surf

#29     May 20, 2013
  10. No idea, but he had not recorded a down year until 2008, I believe.

#30     May 20, 2013