The general's comments on gays

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tradermaji, Mar 13, 2007.

1. How often do we see such court martials for adultery?

After all, boys will be boys, right?

You gonna tell me that a C.O. is going to turn in married men on shore leave for diddling around with a hooker?

#21     Mar 14, 2007
  2. pamjoey

pamjoey

As a veteran, i can tell you that it is, without a doubt, for the military to dictate what is moral or immoral. At least it was, when I was in.

A soldier in my company was committing adultery with another soldiers wife, and when the company commander found out, there was plenty of trouble for the guilty party.

This was in the 1980s, but I doubt it has changed

#22     Mar 14, 2007
  3. That is what they call the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. The "don't tell" part includes not only "telling" but also doing homosexual activity.

It's easy enough to look up if you don't believe me or want more information. I think they describe it in general terms in the article about this general.

#23     Mar 14, 2007
  4. I'm wrong? That there is a policy to court martial service members who commit adultery? Sorry but that is fact.

Don't blame me for the policy. I didn't enact it. You may think adultery and homosexual activity are acceptable, but it was the judgment of the military that they were not. I think in fairness they probably support the adultery prohibition more than the gay one. The reality of men being away from home for long periods and separated from their wives is a real problem in the service, and this policy is one way they attempted to minimize it.

#24     Mar 14, 2007
  5. "don't ask, don't tell' doesn't mean anything like 'The army's public position is that homosexuality is immoral'.

The don't tell part might implicitly mean 'don't do or you could face some unofficial harassment', but it doesn't officially mean don't do. The best you can say is that the Army would strongly prefer if its member do not engage in homosexual activity.
    Again, I would ask you to provide a link to substantiate this assertion. It's not that I 'don't believe you' (am calling you a liar), it's just that I had a strongly held belief that the Army had stopped short of morally condemning homosexuality as a matter of policy and I want to see where they do, if they do.

There is nothing in 'Don't ask, don't tell' that says that homosexuality is immoral. If they thought it were immoral they would ban homosexuals from the army.

#25     Mar 14, 2007
  6. As under 10 U.S.C. 654(b) the practice or admission of homosexuality is reason for discharge. Period.

"Sexual orientation will not be a bar to service unless manifested by homosexual conduct. The military will discharge members who engage in homosexual conduct, which is defined as a homosexual act, a statement that the member is homosexual or bisexual, or a marriage or attempted marriage to someone of the same gender." — quoted in "The Pentagon's New Policy Guidelines on Homosexuals in the Military", The New York Times (July 20, 1993), p.A14.

#26     Mar 14, 2007
  7. pamjoey

pamjoey

very nice, maybe nik and zzzzzzz will believe you now

#27     Mar 14, 2007
  8. typical closet gay wanting to come out.

#28     Mar 14, 2007
  9. - is that a dig that I'm immoral or are you hitting on me?

#29     Mar 14, 2007
  10. The armed forces hardly condone it under the current policy.

Imagine allowing heterosexuals into the armed forces only if they never spoke of their partners or any sex acts they did at home. That female photo over your bunk better be your sister or you're getting kicked out.

I totally understand it from a practical standpoint, moral issues notwithstanding. I would think it would be very difficult as a gay man to be in close quarters 24/7 with a bunch of young soldiers and be 100% focused on the mission.

Traveler

#30     Mar 14, 2007